Can you use a technique in the topic sentence of paragraphs? (1 Viewer)

tk8

HSC
hey guys,

I was told by my teacher last year for English at school that it is totally fine to state the overarching technique (e.g. figurative language/structural language/extended metaphor) in the topic sentence of a paragraph (but not list them obviously). But my current teacher absolutely despises using any form of techniques in topic sentences at all. Since my teacher is very fixed-minded with her point of view, I am just wondering of how would I write a topic sentence to a 'how' question, as this implies techniques? Also, during the HSC, can you write any techniques in topic sentences? do you guys also prefer to write techniques or not in topic sentences?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with your previous teacher in the sense that the choice of stating the overarching technique is that of the student. Regardless of your current teacher's negative perception of such an approach, a topic sentence of a paragraph that identifies the overarching techniques can be effective in terms of enhancing the overall quality of an essay. Consider the following exaremple:

"Weldon’s idea of literature being the “essence of civilisation” can be seen through the use of the extended metaphor of the City of Invention."
However, it might be better to stick to the perspective of your current teacher so as to avoid unwanted outcomes. With that being said, a "how" question does not necessarily require a topic sentence that makes reference to a technique, although it will evidently require a thorough analysis following the topic sentence, which is where detailed references to techniques can then be made. Consider the following example of a topic sentence that does not mention a technique:

"Beach Burial is a powerful anti-war poem illuminating the diversity and commonality of human experiences and thus consolidating our understanding of human nature which continues to be relevant to our world."

Your previous teacher's perspective aligns more closely with the HSC exam because the decision of including or excluding techniques from topic sentences will essentially be yours to make. Of course, this will be based on whether you believe that either approach will assist you in developing a good quality response.

I hope this helps! :D

Reactions: tk8

tk8

HSC
I agree with your previous teacher in the sense that the choice of stating the overarching technique is that of the student. Regardless of your current teacher's negative perception of such an approach, a topic sentence of a paragraph that identifies the overarching techniques can be effective in terms of enhancing the overall quality of an essay. Consider the following exaremple:

"Weldon’s idea of literature being the “essence of civilisation” can be seen through the use of the extended metaphor of the City of Invention."
However, it might be better to stick to the perspective of your current teacher so as to avoid unwanted outcomes. With that being said, a "how" question does not necessarily require a topic sentence that makes reference to a technique, although it will evidently require a thorough analysis following the topic sentence, which is where detailed references to techniques can then be made. Consider the following example of a topic sentence that does not mention a technique:

"Beach Burial is a powerful anti-war poem illuminating the diversity and commonality of human experiences and thus consolidating our understanding of human nature which continues to be relevant to our world."

Your previous teacher's perspective aligns more closely with the HSC exam because the decision of including or excluding techniques from topic sentences will essentially be yours to make. Of course, this will be based on whether you believe that either approach will assist you in developing a good quality response.

I hope this helps! :D
Thanks for this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)