Canberra is good for studying... (1 Viewer)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Expand and explain... as a potential Canberrian I wish to know more about my potential home!

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Nah, that's what I thought too, but then you get here and there's all this other stuff going on that you don't know about. If you live on-campus stuff's happening heaps anyway. It's not as dead or as boring as people think, at times - maybe, but there's clubs, pubs, shops, cafes... it's good. You can get fireworks here and today I just walked past a store that sold bongs... what more could a person want :rolleyes:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
So Canberra is a town where politicians and uni kids get drunk, stoned and let off fireworks... I'M THERE!!!

Tatto

cant u see it, canberra has problems!!
im not talking abt studying in canberra, im talking abt living here!!

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
why? its cheap to rent, pubs are cheap, there is less pollution, great bike tracks, close to the snow, superiour uni, what more could you want?

Ribbon

Originally posted by cheesegrater
why? its cheap to rent, pubs are cheap, there is less pollution, great bike tracks, close to the snow, superiour uni, what more could you want?
pfft... cheap to rent my ass! (Well, maybe compared to sydney, but rent here is twice as much as you pay where I am from). Canberra isn't that bad (actually I think its great)... where else can you leave uni for a few hours to sit in on question time in parliament?! There all this cool abstract art around the place and the city comes accross as new and clean to me (as opposed to sydney which I have always thought of as dirty and old...) All the pubs and clubs are within walking distance of each other and theres usually heaps of bands and things playing around the place... and every area has a bigass lake with a walking track around it... I like it...

Then again, it is novel for me to have to drive less than 1/2 an hour to get to the nearest 24 hour servo so maybe I'm not qualified to comment :)

the rent is pretty good
not as good as where im from either, but we're paying 280 a week for a two bedroom fully furnished apartment right near the city and ANU

Ziff

HSC
N/A
You could always try living in Queanbyean if you want cheap rent :p

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by cheesegrater
close to the snow and a superior course were the two reasons i was considering doing commerce/law there instead of Mq. In the end I stayed closer to home.

280 isn't that cheap. i've got 3 mates living in a 3 bedroom place in stratty not far from syd uni. it's a brand new block and they're paying 360/week split 3 ways, and they don't have a water or elec bill because apparently the body corporate can't be fucked working out how much each unit uses so it is just incorporated into the rent. they def use more than average!! haha

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I would so erect a hydroponics set up to pay for the rent :p

M@C D@DDY

HSC
so wat would u guyz rank the law course at ANU compared to the ones in syd??

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
im only in yr 12 so i have no idea but i think the majority would rank usyd law higher than ANU law...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
The quality will still vary greatly from Uni to Uni - I started out in Science / Law at USyd, and HATED the USyd Law faculty. It was taught in an extremely rigid way, opinion and critical thought were discouraged. This is the reason that UNSW and ANU Law grads are (or at least, were) better regarded by people I know in the profession.
There you have it.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
IF i had the freedom of choice (with no problems about moving and uai cut offs) then i would choose USYD over ANU...but JUST over...but thats obviously dreaming :(

Ziff

HSC
N/A
ANU is also generally where most of the public servants who work in Canberra are sourced from. Everything from diplomats to whatever...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)