Cancel some of the HSC? (1 Viewer)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
News article https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ovember-with-fewer-exams-20210825-p58lwx.html from the Sydney Morning Herald, posted online at 6:21 pm on 25 August. Note that there is not yet any official decision ...

HSC may be delayed until November, with fewer exams

The authority in charge of the HSC wants to move the written exam period to early November, and is considering cancelling some tests as it grapples with balancing the legal requirement to hold public exams with the need to conduct them safely.

Some argue that if authorities decided on this option, it should involve only the English exam, which is compulsory for all students and must be included in the Australian Tertiary Entrance Rank. English results are a strong ATAR predictor. The rest of the HSC mark would be based on school assessments.

yanujw

HSC
Idk I feel like 5 units is a horrible idea. Imagine doing 13 units for only a third of your effort to be counted. Imagine having mandatory english take up 40% rather than 20% of your ATAR calculation. How do you even prioritise just 3 subjects? In a year where HSC students have had their abilities not fully recognised (cancelled/limited assessments, and reduced class time), cutting out half their HSC would just make it worse.

cloud_berry

HSC
Ngl I’m torn on whether this is a good idea or not, though I have an inherent bias towards not doing exams
whatever happens I just want some certainty, because i dont wanna study for an exam i may not even take

cyniczny

HSC
That's kinda ridiculous ngl - what if they just count 5 units instead of 10? So you only have to sit 3 ish exams, but you can choose which ones
i'm not too sure that would solve the problem of running exams, though. it's inevitable that not every student would pick the same 3 exams, so they would probably still end up running ~120 exams like usual (obv with less people sitting them, but the exams are still running), which according to the SMH article linked at the beginning of the thread, is something they're trying to avoid in the worst-case scenario.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
why would you not want four subjects instead of five to count, it will relief the stress of doing five?
God forbid but imagine tanking a subject in the HSC. It would hurt way more. Also like what cloud_berry said, I've put so much time into studying for these subjects, and to not be put in the exam is just ridiculous.

stressedadfff

HSC
God forbid but imagine tanking a subject in the HSC. It would hurt way more. Also like what cloud_berry said, I've put so much time into studying for these subjects, and to not be put in the exam is just ridiculous.
no i meant as in only your top 4 subjects counting after the hsc rather than all 5 but i get you

cloud_berry

HSC
no i meant as in only your top 4 subjects counting after the hsc rather than all 5 but i get you
top 4 would be good ngl
also i already feel like my efforts have gone to waste cos of what lockdown did to my motivation
like, ok, so i’m probably not gonna perform the best in trials at this point and i’ve accepted that. but if they’d give us some certainty regarding the hsc then i’d at least try to get myself back on track to make up for it, i mean, id try to usually but it feels risky at the moment because i don’t want to stress myself any further studying for stuff that’s not even gonna be in the hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)