Can't choose: (1 Viewer)

williamc

HSC
Hey guys im currently an 07 HSC'er, and im having a bit of trouble filling in my preferences for 2008 admission. I'm currently tossing up between 2 different degrees at 2 different uni's.

I'm interested in economics and finance as one day i would like to maybe work as a financial dealer/trader, maybe an economist, or banker.

I'm currently tossing up whether i should do:

1) B Economics (major in economics and finance) USYD
OR
2) B Economics (major economics) with a B Applied Finance (major finance) at Macquarie uni.

Things to consider:
First option has a higher cutoff, although hopefully i might be able to get it.
USYD would take me like an hour to get there and liek 20 minutes to macq

I would like an unbias opinion (if thats even possible) to what option you recommend.

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
williamc said:
Hey guys im currently an 07 HSC'er, and im having a bit of trouble filling in my preferences for 2008 admission. I'm currently tossing up between 2 different degrees at 2 different uni's.

I'm interested in economics and finance as one day i would like to maybe work as a financial dealer/trader, maybe an economist, or banker.

OR
2) B Economics (major economics) with a B Applied Finance (major finance) at Macquarie uni.

Things to consider:

I would like an unbias opinion (if thats even possible) to what option you recommend.
Disclaimer: I am at USYD now doing a Finance major...but I'm definately not a rabid University promoter. This is also mainly focused on the finance industry, wouldn't know about working as an economist.

I strongly recommend USYD for two main reasons:

1. USYD is better respected than Macquarie, at least for Finance. And I think USYD has a pretty solid reputation for Economics too, although its never something I've cared to look in to.

2. From my (empirical) observation, USYD graduates are very overrepresented in investment banking (since you say you want to be a banker). At most intern events I've been to, roughly half of the attendes were from USYD, 25% UNSW and 25% Mac/UTS/Wollongong etc., proportions which basically carried through to the offers as far as I know (except most of the smaller unis e.g. Wollongong, UNE etc. didn't make it). I heard that DB said at their cocktail evening that 80% of their Sydney IBD is from USYD. I don't think that this is because USYD is a better finance school (although that may be the case), but USYD has a better peer group than e.g. UNSW or Macq...if everyone wants to do finance, it's sure to be a better environment than where e.g. everyone wants to be an accountant. So when all of the top students are going towards Finance, obviously USYD will be overrepresented..

This also means a better network going forward...e.g. if you go to USYD it's not unrealistic (if you are one of the better students) to have connections at most of the big banks (if not all).

Of course if you can't make it, you can't make it, and no matter what uni you go to that will be the case.

The commute is a concern but 1 hour is not unreasonable, many people face this sort of commute every day. If it were 2 hours both ways you'd start to wonder..but I think for one hour you'll be fine.

In short, I'd recommend in order:
1. USYD
2. UNSW
3. Macq

If you go to any other uni e.g. UTS, UWS you are handicapping your chances for the finance industry IMO.

williamc

HSC
Thanks^

I will have USYD economics as first preference atleast until i get my UAI.

Edit: But ive heard for undergradutate studies, it doesn't really matter which uni you go to if you are going to complete post graduate studies aswell.

Rorix

HSC
That makes sense to me...but not many people do go on to do postgrad studies straight from undergrad, at least in finance.

williamc

HSC
The reason im considering macquarie, is that ive heard that employers usually don't take to mac students as macq doesnt allow students to doube major narrowing their knowledge. But if i take a double degree i would overcome that problem, as i would have 2 degrees, in economics and finance.

Still leaning towards USYD though.

Rorix

HSC
Well TBH its not really about what school is better but what school is perceived to be better...and if you go to Macq generally that says "I couldn't make UNSW/USYD.." some mates I know from Macq get asked for their UAIs in interviews etc., I think because the firms want to see if they actually chose Macq or it was forced on them

So like I said, I recommend USYD. However you could definately do worse than MAcq

I

Impulse

williamc said:

OR

Things to consider:

I think you need to learn more manners in your posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)