• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can't drop year 11 subjects (1 Viewer)

move out

HSC
N/A
So my school has decided not to let us drop our extra year 11 units until the end of week four, term four.
I plan on dropping 4 units, picking up one extension and doing a total of 10 units, so thats alot of free periods.
I know some of you will probably just tell me to suck it up and deal with it for four weeks, fair enough, your more than entitled to. But I am away for the first week in term four (parents fault) and i am not looking forward to catching up on all that work. So if i have the free periods, it would make my life a lot easier.
So, can my school legally make me keep my subjects, if yes, why? and if no, how do i go about contacting the Board of Studies and getting them to tell my school off.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Jeee

Banned
HSC
So my school has decided not to let us drop our extra year 11 units until the end of week four, term four. I plan on dropping 4 units, picking up one extension and doing a total of 10 units, so thats alot of free periods.I know some of you will probably just tell me to suck it up and deal with it for four weeks, fair enough, your more than entitled to. But I am away for the first week in term four (parents fault) and i am not looking forward to catching up on all that work. So if i have the free periods, it would make my life a lot easier. So, can my school legally make me keep my subjects, if yes, why? and if no, how do i go about contacting the Board of Studies and getting them to tell my school off.Any help would be much appreciated!
This is how you contact them:
Contact us - Board of Studies NSW

Jaylee42003

HSC
So my school has decided not to let us drop our extra year 11 units until the end of week four, term four.
I plan on dropping 4 units, picking up one extension and doing a total of 10 units, so thats alot of free periods.
I know some of you will probably just tell me to suck it up and deal with it for four weeks, fair enough, your more than entitled to. But I am away for the first week in term four (parents fault) and i am not looking forward to catching up on all that work. So if i have the free periods, it would make my life a lot easier.
So, can my school legally make me keep my subjects, if yes, why? and if no, how do i go about contacting the Board of Studies and getting them to tell my school off.
Any help would be much appreciated!
quit complaining. it's just four weeks; it's not like they r making u continue them into the hsc.
and it's actually still part of your preliminary course. so if you decide to just not go to class, you're not completing units of work and therefore won't complete that particular course.
and as for the "all that work" you have to catch up on, get a note, and who gives a fuck if you don't do it. your teachers will know ur not continuing. just attend, do the bare minimal work required, and suck it up. (soz, had to say it).
k?

move out

HSC
N/A
quit complaining. it's just four weeks; it's not like they r making u continue them into the hsc.
and it's actually still part of your preliminary course. so if you decide to just not go to class, you're not completing units of work and therefore won't complete that particular course.
and as for the "all that work" you have to catch up on, get a note, and who gives a fuck if you don't do it. your teachers will know ur not continuing. just attend, do the bare minimal work required, and suck it up. (soz, had to say it).
k?

Lol, i am not concerned about the work i have to do for the subjects i am dropping, its the ones that i am keeping that i am worried about. I mean, i already do shit all in the classes that i hate, not like i was planning on changing
But the most helpful part of you post was you said that i am not fully completeing the prelim course of that subject if i dont do it for the extra four weeks. Probably should have asked around, but do other schools make them do the subjects for extra the four weeks as well?

I'm ready to 'suck it up' just wondering if there was an alternative....

Jaylee42003

HSC
Lol, i am not concerned about the work i have to do for the subjects i am dropping, its the ones that i am keeping that i am worried about. I mean, i already do shit all in the classes that i hate, not like i was planning on changing
But the most helpful part of you post was you said that i am not fully completeing the prelim course of that subject if i dont do it for the extra four weeks. Probably should have asked around, but do other schools make them do the subjects for extra the four weeks as well?

I'm ready to 'suck it up' just wondering if there was an alternative....
my school is doing the same thing. coz im doing pathways (everyone knows by now), im only doing half of my hsc subjects next term and they r making me do prelim right up until week 4, except for general maths where my teacher wants to start week 2.
but yeah i can see your concern, and you don't need to worry about that because your hsc wont start until week 4 so the work up until that point won't count. =]

bbychocoholic

HSC
it's not just your school thats making you do it till week 4. that's how our school is doing it too- cos thats technically when the HSC course actually begins or so our deputy claims
but yeah, dont stress too much over that subject then if you're going to drop. concentrate MORE on the ones you're keeping. just do the bare minimum- enough to get you to pass, then drop it and you're sweet to get through the prelimns year. thats what my best friend is doing with her modern history course!

Tangent

HSC
no, you cannot =P that would be truancy

as bbychocoholic said, the prelim course doesnt finish for another 4 weeks, though most teachers go onto the HSC course anyway. Whats wrong with the subs you have at the moment? Whats so bad about them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)