Can't get 90+ ATAR for general maths? (1 Viewer)

Psychoanalytic

HSC
I've dropped to general maths at the beginning of this year mainly because I really dislike maths. Kids in advanced maths are telling me that you cannot get above 90 ATAR for general maths and so are some of the maths teachers. Is this true?
My school mark is 97% (yes, yes, I've heard "you should be doing advanced" many, many times, but I knew that I wasn't going to put the effort towards advanced because I simply do not enjoy it one bit. General is a piss easy subject which gives me time to focus on the the three sciences and ext English). If I ended up getting 97% or higher in the externals, can I get an ATAR of above 90 for general maths?

maxc16

Get some
HSC
99 in general maths is equal to 99.3 ATAR for those two units.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Yes you can, don't listen to them there talking bs. If you get 97/97/99/100 and that happens to be within the top 10% of the state, there you go you have a 90 percentile within maths.

I only think its different for the Englishes.

Psychoanalytic

HSC
Okay, thank you so much! :) That's really good to hear! Yeah, they were saying that it's to stop people who are capable of doing advanced maths "dumbing down".

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Yes you can easily get over 99+ dependent on how you do in your other units. ATAR is dependent on your top 10 units, not jsut your 2 units of gm. If you gun the other 8 units, smash GM, people can even get 99+ atars.

tambam

HSC
For general maths last year, the maximum scaled for someone who received an hsc mark of 100 was 45.3/50.
In comparison, the maximum mark for maths was 50/50, and the top mark in general maths was equivalent to a mark of someone in the top 5% of the cohort in maths.

I think that's what your teachers were referring, but as people said, the atar equivalent is 99.3, so given you do very well, it might hinder you from an atar in the high 99s, but definitely not an atar of 90+

lukasheights

HSC
For general maths last year, the maximum scaled for someone who received an hsc mark of 100 was 45.3/50.
In comparison, the maximum mark for maths was 50/50, and the top mark in general maths was equivalent to a mark of someone in the top 5% of the cohort in maths.

I think that's what your teachers were referring, but as people said, the atar equivalent is 99.3, so given you do very well, it might hinder you from an atar in the high 99s, but definitely not an atar of 90+
This.

My cousin achieved an ATAR of 91 and she did General Mathematics. It's even possible to get a 99, because I've heard that a friend of a friend of mine had actually achieved it, and this friend is pretty damn reliable and trustworthy.

So, there you go. :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I've dropped to general maths at the beginning of this year mainly because I really dislike maths. Kids in advanced maths are telling me that you cannot get above 90 ATAR for general maths and so are some of the maths teachers. Is this true?
My school mark is 97% (yes, yes, I've heard "you should be doing advanced" many, many times, but I knew that I wasn't going to put the effort towards advanced because I simply do not enjoy it one bit. General is a piss easy subject which gives me time to focus on the the three sciences and ext English). If I ended up getting 97% or higher in the externals, can I get an ATAR of above 90 for general maths?
They have no idea what they're talking about.

But if you're getting 97% in General, then you really should be doing Advanced because the scaling is just gonna ruin you if you don't get super high. Getting 97% or higher in the HSC is not as easy as it looks.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Also ridiculous to be doing (presumably) Chem & Physics with only Gen Maths - although there are people doing this. How can you like Physics and not maths. Unless you cannot handle 2U Maths, do it or regret it.

enoilgam

HSC
Some teachers are genuinely clueless when it comes to the HSC. General maths just doesnt scale well - its not going to prevent you from getting 90.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Some teachers are genuinely clueless when it comes to the HSC. General maths just doesnt scale well - its not going to prevent you from getting 90.
My IPT teacher is clueless to, she doesn't realize that scalling can pull your marks down. Because a mark of say 75 in IPT when scalled goes down.

annie-louise

HSC
Dont even worry about subject scaling. We had a guy at a school a couple of years ago do all the 'easy' subjects including General Maths, Standard English, Hospitality etc. And this kid got an ATAR of 95 or something crazy like that. So DONT listen to those snobby people in two unit maths :)

thefatman123

HSC
Also ridiculous to be doing (presumably) Chem & Physics with only Gen Maths - although there are people doing this. How can you like Physics and not maths. Unless you cannot handle 2U Maths, do it or regret it.
i do general math and chem and im top 5 in both, why would you need to unit math to do chem when the most complex math is substitution into and rearranging equations like n=m/MM or using the log key (although i have no idea what log is :D) when your fining pH of a solution, as long as your not a complete fail at math theres no reason why you cant do chem with general math as long as you understand the concept behing the math

2011_

HSC
i do general math and chem and im top 5 in both, why would you need to unit math to do chem when the most complex math is substitution into and rearranging equations like n=m/MM or using the log key (although i have no idea what log is :D) when your fining pH of a solution, as long as your not a complete fail at math theres no reason why you cant do chem with general math as long as you understand the concept behing the math
Agreed. The Maths in Chem is by no means complex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)