Can't understand question (1 Viewer)

HSC
Explain how water differs from air in conducting water away from the body of an organism?

i don't get what it is asking for

please help

*sarah*

HSC
<:eQuiLiBriUm:> said:
Explain how water differs from air in conducting water away from the body of an organism?
umm are u sure uve got the question right? Do u mean how it differs in conductingheat away from the body?
In that case, the body will more readily give up heat to the water to change its temp (because it has a higher heat capacity), thus water will take more heat away from the body. Basically water conducts heat better than air.

malkin86

HSC
I don't recognise that dp.. what number is it?

HSC
nope that's the question the teacher gave me and i'm stuck on it

maybe it is heat but it says water

hmmmm i hate hoilday hw

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think what the teacher was meant to ask something requiring an answer of: movement of water relies on osmosis - a type of diffusion - while movement of particles in air relies on diffision. he/she badly worded the question.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hm... i think it's because water is a better conductor of heat than air... and also it has a very high specific heat capactity relative to air...

that's why in places like antarctica, altho water temperature is higher than that of the temperature on land, u will die of hyperthermia in water, but not on land (because water is a poor conductor...)

Alexluby

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM
HSC
N/A
I believe that question is in relation to osmosis. In the water, the water concentration of organism is higher than water, therefore it is easier for organisms to lose water to the water environment through osmosis. However in a land environment, the skin protects the water in the body from leaving out of the body.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hm i see... "conductin water away from organism..." dodgy"...
backs alex's comment...

since water vapour pressure is lower in air, an organism on land, if not properly guarded, will lose water every single second...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)