• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

car question (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
ok basically got a quesiton...we have got an auto sedan....and its got gears 1, 2, 3, , D, etc...
being as bored as i am i drive it like a manual, shifting between gears 1, 2 and 3.

for those who would know, how bad is this really for the car?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
so it aint fucking up the car?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
hope it doesnt do too much damage, its so fun though. no joke, this is coming from a auto driver.
my friends got a manual, so going to drive it after exams

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah, probably not the best thing to do.

There's a reason they're called automatic gearboxes :p The only time I'd stuff it into a certain gear is going down a hill so I don't have to put the breaks on a lot. Wack it into 2nd down a big hill always works!

Manuals are better and they use less fuel (if you drive them economically!)

HSC
Originally posted by redruM

for those who would know, how bad is this really for the car?
yeah..it's actually very bad for the gearbox..when you start on a low gear, you're basically going up a >60 degree slope hill, which is fine
but if you're flooring it at 1, on a flat surface (i can't see how you can anyway), you'll probably get very high revs after you've reached its 'peak' point, these revs are making the car work harder and eventually wear the engine out faster than when driving normally...as said before, low gears uses up a lot of fuel (you are basically working the car harder for a shorter distance)

think of the analogy of a mountain bike....if you put it in first gear, after the initial 'umph' that you get in the first few metres, the 'umph' wears out and it becomes harder for the rider to keep up with the speed (the rider is pedalling faster but not gaining speed)

the exact same thing with a car! :p

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
why couldnt you just say, it doesnt do any damage to anything, or even that it is good for the car:(

:p

edit: i like when you shift down to slow down :D *lameass*

HSC
why couldnt you just say, it doesnt do any damage to anything, or even that it is good for the car:(

:p

edit: i like when you shift down to slow down :D *lameass*
mm..yeah, i should've just let you wreck ya car :D

Originally posted by iambored
lol get a manual
what he said!...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
my friends got a manual, so going to drive it after exams
:D
and what do i do during the time before exams? :p

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
my brother's broken a gearbox doing that ;)

it doesn't do much as far as improving acceleration goes, anyway...

steve_ell

it is never goin to be good for your car but in some cases ot wont be bad. for instance if u are reving out the gears and holding them in an auto ... it will cause automatic transmission problems... but if u are just leaving it in second ( i do this in my dads Xr6) it wont case too much troule .. at this speed at 70 it is only foin 2000rpm).

govich

high rolla baby
HSC
ok, the 3-2-1 (or whatever it is in your car) 'gears' stop the car from changing up from whatever gear is selected, and the manufacturer basically made them for the purpose of towing, or conditions where you really need the car to hold a gear. so using them off every set of lights isn't what they were designed for and could cause problems with the gearbox...

depending on how you use them, you will probably also end up usin more fuel, and the car won't go any faster..

manuals rock :D

SipSip

HSC
N/A
it doesn't screw up the car one bit, unless you shift from R to D while the car is still reversing. Otherwise, it's just adds a little more fun to the auto...

SipSip

HSC
N/A
not one bit..
I was doing it to my first car until i crashed it....long term wise, it won't damage it unless you push it to redline like everyday....if you keep doing that, i'm pretty sure you'll end up blowing the engine...

Igor

HSC
N/A
ok, it DOES damage the car if you rev it too much or do this in the wrong conditions. basically, if you just want to make driving an auto more interesting, ok, thats fine, do you have a tacometer? just make sure your not reving to hard. the newer gearboxes are pretty good at dealing with things, so it should be fine. just make sure that every service you get thm to check the auto transmition fluid, or do it yourself cause its not too hard. other things to watch when driving an auto like a manual, stop accelerating when you change gears, then accelerate again. just like if you were using a clutch. this stops over revving and gives the car a chance to adjust.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)