Car to Buy Advice (1 Viewer)

MCK

HSC
Ok well I recently discovered a car, which I had never seen before, but instantly liked straight away the Ford Focus XR5 Turbo.

The only problem is from what I read it only comes in manual, which ive never driven before.

So can anyone confirm that it only comes in manual and if it does does anyone know of any similar looking and priced cars that I can consider buying instead.

Or can anyone else just recommend either a hatchback or smallish car that they own?

Thanks

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
How good is your driving/what licence are you?

My boss at work has an XR5 Turbo (in addition to his targa STIs) and he rates it quite highly. That being said, if it's your first manual car, I don't think getting a high power FWD car is the best bet.

What kind of budget do you have and how would you rate your driving ability? And what is your interest level in cars/driving?

ochaguy

HSC
There's nothing wrong with the Ford XR5 apart from the fact that it's getting replaced in a year or so.
So you can either wait for the all new one or wait for the runout pricing for the current model.

As for other contenders in the 35-45k (new) "hot hatch" market, here are a couple of suggestions:

Audi A1
Alfa Romeo Guiletta/MiTO
Citroen DS3
Honda Civic Type R
Mazda 3 SP23
Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliant
Peugeot 207
Renault Megane RS
Subaru WRX
VW Golf GTi
Volvo C30

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
There's nothing wrong with the Ford XR5 apart from the fact that it's getting replaced in a year or so.
So you can either wait for the all new one or wait for the runout pricing for the current model.

As for other contenders in the 35-45k (new) "hot hatch" market, here are a couple of suggestions:

Audi A1
Alfa Romeo Guiletta/MiTO
Citroen DS3
Honda Civic Type R
Mazda 3 SP23
Peugeot 207
Renault Megane RS
VW Golf GTi
Volvo C30
Golf GTi > all of them.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of the choice comes down to what the OP wants in a car... performance, driveability, comfort, sports, brand, image, convenience, etc...

On another note, I'm actually not a huge fan of a GTI. Yes it's a good car but it doesn't really feel that special. Surprisingly even with TCS on, I got wheelspin when driving off from the lights and I wasn't even accelerating hard. The other problem is that car is starting to get a bit of a stigma as being driven by old hoons... the number of times I've had a GTI come up next to me at the lights and then try to race me is countless... but it's hilarious when they fail (i.e. wheelspin). That all being said, it's a very safe car to buy as it has good specs, good reviews, nice interior for it's pricerange, will maintain resale value, good reliability, respectable, etc... but if it were me, I'd spring the $5-10k more and just get the R which is a steal for $50k.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst I personally would rate the Evo (or the STI for that matter), judging by the OP's lack of manual experience and what appears to be a preference for a new car rather than a used Japanese performance car, I think the OP would probably be better off looking at some of the other cars listed by ochaguy.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Whilst I personally would rate the Evo (or the STI for that matter), judging by the OP's lack of manual experience and what appears to be a preference for a new car rather than a used Japanese performance car, I think the OP would probably be better off looking at some of the other cars listed by ochaguy.
:(

Well then if I were OP I'd go for the Mazda 3 SP23.

ochaguy

HSC
Whoops.

Forgot to add some other very mentionable hot hatches:

Mini Cooper S
Fiat 500 Abarth
VW Scirocco (IF it arrives to AUS soon)
Used Mazda RX 8 (Not technically a hot hatch I know)
Skoda Octavia RS (it's good performance for the money)
VW polo Gti (light car class)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst I'm a fan of the RX-8's look/design, performance isn't that great and can't believe that it drinks petrol faster than my Evo does!

Scirocco is expensive here as it's only available as a parallel import for circa $70-80k from memory (it was in the Motor magazine Hot Tuner challenge 2010).

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
That's because RX-8 has a rotary engine rather than a stock standard cylinder one hence fuel guzzling. =P

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
RX8's 1.3L rotary engine is beautiful. Then again R87s aren't too bad either - buy the Veilside kit in Tokyo Drift.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree I loved the Fortune kit in Tokyo Drift. Looked hot. But the pain of managing and running a rotary isn't worth it unless you are patient/tolerant and have the bucks to cover it.

MCK

HSC
Thanks for the advice.

I was also considering a Mazda 3 too.

However, in your opinion, do you see that as more of a girly car because I have asked people on the matter and some say yes while others say no.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Thanks for the advice.

However, in your opinion, do you see that as more of a girly car because I have asked people on the matter and some say yes while others say no.
I'm indifferent to it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the advice.

Whilst I don't usually think cars are girly even when a lot of people sometimes do (e.g. Mini Cooper and MX5 aren't totally girly), the Mazda3 is a very VERY neutral car.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)