Career In Advertising (1 Viewer)

GRX40
HSC
N/A
I've recently become interested in a career in advertising, but I don't know the correct term of what I'm looking for, which makes searching for possible university degrees and like quite difficult.

I'm intrigued by the possibility of creating advertisements for television and billboards (and radio, if need be), not simply conducting the administration duties. All I seem to be able to find information on, however, is the marketing and financial side of it, not the creative input.

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could inform me of the correct term to describe the person who creates the ideas for advertisements (all I could find was the term "creative"), and perhaps even point me towards a credible university degree or two. Any extra information, such as reliable recruitment agencies, ways to break into the industry, leading advertising organizations, hints, tips and past experiences would also be welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited:

msh

HSC
Advertising Art Director is the right word in this case. Advertising Graphic designer is correct too, but as you mentioned generating the 'ideas' and the 'concepts,' art direction is probably what you are hoping to get into. however art directors do have a bit of a manegerial position than advertising designers.
To become an advertising art director you would need a background in visual communication/graphic design.

Your best bet is to get to UTS Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication degree. They have numerous grads that are currently working as art directors or even creative directors. The UAC guide and UTS's green booklet for the design faculty would tell you that art direction is a potential career option upon graduation from the degree.

Check these links out :)

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/Show...s/Types_of_Job/p!eipaL?idno=241&state=showocc

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

biggie walls

HSC
Most people who work as a Creative Director (Creative for short) in Advertising have a degree in Communications such as UTS' Bachelor of Communications (Public Communication) which focuses on the writing side of advertising, that is creating 'copy' (text/spoken words in an ad) as that is where the creative process begins...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)