Career In Music? (1 Viewer)

bennyboy249

HSC
Hey,
I'm in year 12 next year, and i was wanting to do something with music as a career. I really want to do performing, but you hear all the famous people just get picked by chance. Is there any way that i can begin performing without the 'right place at the right time' clique?
I've done my 6th Grade Musicianship (Theory) and my 5th grade AMEB Practical. It was either a choice between performing or media production...such as working in recording studios etc...can anyone give me help with this? such as how do i go about doing this? If anyone is in this career i would be really greatful if the could email me with some information about courses.
My email is bennyboy249@hotmail.com
Thanx everyone!
I'll be checking back soon

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
have you checked out the conservatorium of music?

i'm not sure if you get successful or famous by chance, in the type of music you want to achieve, but you certainly need a network, i think that would provide a great chance of being successful

wizard146

HSC
Alternatively to the Con, try AIM- the Australian Institute of Music. It's generally regarded as easier to get into but I think would give good experience and opportunities.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Agh, don't go to AIM Please.. For the love of god, don't. (if you want to be a preformer) heh. Music Technology and Audio YES, go to AIM... but not for performing. For gods sake, its being sold off as a karaoke bar - heh.

Trust me, i know.. Wen't there. -nodnod-
and theres no audition for the tertiary courses, apart from the contemporary department, but everyone gets in.
Ok, i'm bagging out my old school but hey. ^^
and a good experience.. Pft..

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
AIM is, to be polite about it, a retarded version of SCM or any of the other decent music schools (Con's Arts Music, UNSW, UoW etc.). In fact, the only school that's More of a joke than AIM is the Australian International Conservatorium of Music, in Harris Park (next to Parramatta). Now THAT'S a joke.

trumpetboy

HSC
I found most local "musos" play gigs at night and are teachers through the day....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, everyone knows you don't need skill/theory to be a musician, just line up for idol! kekeke :p

lala2

Banned
HSC
Isn't the Con the best anyway? the people who become good music teachers and good concert performers all seem to choose the Con...

GRX40
HSC
N/A
What instrument do you play, bennyboy249?

Bunny04 said:
Agh, don't go to AIM Please.. For the love of god, don't. (if you want to be a preformer) heh. Music Technology and Audio YES, go to AIM... but not for performing. For gods sake, its being sold off as a karaoke bar - heh.

Trust me, i know.. Wen't there. -nodnod-
and theres no audition for the tertiary courses, apart from the contemporary department, but everyone gets in.
Ok, i'm bagging out my old school but hey. ^^
and a good experience.. Pft..
One of the other students in my music class was considering attending the AIM, until I discovered the terrible rumours that circulated it and warned them. This forum is to be thanked for that. How's the AIM for other topics, such as ccmposition and musicology?

Phanatical said:
AIM is, to be polite about it, a retarded version of SCM or any of the other decent music schools (Con's Arts Music, UNSW, UoW etc.). In fact, the only school that's More of a joke than AIM is the Australian International Conservatorium of Music, in Harris Park (next to Parramatta). Now THAT'S a joke.
I confess that you have me suitably curious now. That's the first I've heard of the "Australian International Conservatorium of Music". How horrible is it?

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
There isn't much of a composition or musicology department at 'AIM' - there never was, just as there's no real brass department (pft)
I suggest, before you waste time, and money- that you advise friends, or fellow classmates not to bother. I really hate to diss my old school, but honestly- it's not worth it. Teachers are leaving, (the good ones at least) You dont' always recive lessons, it's just.. Well, a shamble.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Bunny04 said:
There isn't much of a composition or musicology department at 'AIM' - there never was, just as there's no real brass department (pft)
I suggest, before you waste time, and money- that you advise friends, or fellow classmates not to bother. I really hate to diss my old school, but honestly- it's not worth it. Teachers are leaving, (the good ones at least) You dont' always recive lessons, it's just.. Well, a shamble.
Reverse psychology dictates that I am now extremely interested in the AIM, just to see how terrible it is. Argh!

bennyboy249, you play the piano, right? I've heard that piano performance is extremely competitive. However, I recently attended a relevantly-titled seminar ("Careers In Music") which essentially consisted of the audience asking questions. In answer to mine, the speaker said that performance offers the greatest opportunities in comparison to composition and musicology. Also, she said that if you're good, you will always find work, e.g., as a session musician, regardless of your qualifications. This might not always be the case, but I would think that your reputation and skills are more important than a degree, especially if you're performing at weddings or something.

I'm actually in a similar situation, trying to decide on a possible path in music, so I know how you feel. Good luck, bennyboy249! If you're confident in your abilities, I say go for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)