careers for comp sci (1 Viewer)

brett86

HSC
just wondering, what is employment like at the moment for comp sci graduates?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24715

firstly why are you asking this question?
do you want to start a compsci degree or are you already in one

the employment today cannot be said to be the same in the future! things are changing everyday...if another financial crisis occurs then every job employment will be lowered, there's really not much point in choosing a degree for the good employment opportunities now
do it only if you enjoy and have interest in the subject

brett86

HSC
im in comp eng and was thinking to change to the maths/comp sci program in adv science

thanks for ur help, need to ask one more question, is it possible to enrol in the subs for the course i plan to change into while still enrolled in comp eng?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Comp eng has a less flexible course. You have to do the course that has been laid out for Comp eng. You can use what electives you have though to mimic other programs as much as possible to help transfer credit when you transfer into another program.

brett86

HSC
i like the subjects i did in comp eng but i could not cope with the workload (phys1131 seemed about 4 times the difficulty and length the next hardest subject i did), so i was thinking about doing a maths/comp sci degree to avoid phys but some people advised me against this because it was hard to get a job in the comp sci area

but its a good point that if i dont like the course, i probably wont like the career its attached to

thanks for ur advice redslert, every who posts here is really helpful

Last edited:

asdf

HSC
brett86 said:
i like the subjects i did in comp eng but i could not cope with the workload (phys1131 seemed about 4 times the difficulty and length the next hardest subject i did), so i was thinking about doing a maths/comp sci degree to avoid phys but some people advised me against this because it was hard to get a job in the comp sci area

but its a good point that if i dont like the course, i probably wont like the career its attached to

thanks for ur advice redslert, every who posts here is really helpful
Yes Comp eng is hard but really, are you sure you want to transfer after 1st semester? Give it some time, first year (or first semester) always SEEMS 100x harder then the following years (even though it's not). I went through HELL (i dont think there's a better word to describe what it felt like) during first semester, but im really enjoying it now (even though im doing harder and more subjects).

I say give it 1 more semester at least and see how you go, then think about transfering. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)