Careers in mining, oil and gas, enviro stuff (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
If anyone has any questions regarding working in mining, oil and gas or enviro stuff. Or any questions about studying it, im glad to help out - just PM me.

Have worked in all three, but mainly in mining stuff over two interships. I'm still at uni, but will try to help out as the resources out there are hopeless and I was lost in the early years of my degree.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
If anyone has any questions regarding working in mining, oil and gas or enviro stuff. Or any questions about studying it, im glad to help out - just PM me.

Have worked in all three, but mainly in mining stuff over two interships. I'm still at uni, but will try to help out as the resources out there are hopeless and I was lost in the early years of my degree.
+1 to all of the above. If you have any geology/mining questions i'll try and help you guys out too. (two student vacations of interships too)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Hi guys, very helpful as I'm still seriously considering taking up geology this year. I know I pm'ed you a few months ago Velox, not sure if I asked this though...

My question regards science electives that are outside of the core program, particularly chemistry.

How important is chemistry knowledge, particularly when your out of uni working in industry. I asked an academic coordinator and they said quite minimal, you learn what you need on the job and employers don't really give a shit if you squeezed in two first yr chem subjects; they mainly look to see if in your third year you covered structual geology and GIS...

Is this a true assessment? I only have a few "extra" spaces for electives, tossing between an evolutionary biology/environmental science subject (very interested in the fossil record, basics of ecology etc), a few chem subjects, first yr enginereing maths (even then, probably just the autumn subject) or an intro to programming (computer science).

I did high school physics, not too interested in doing anymore

Thoughts?

The coordinator just said do what interests me...get decent marks, as long as you have a geology major, you'll get hired. You can learn extra stuff in masters programs if you needed it specifically for a job once your in the industry.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Second question,

if your interested in an academic/research career as aside from working as a geologist in industry, is geology/environmental sciences as competitive in comparison to say biological sciences to enter PhD programs and what areas of research are "hot" so to speak?

I read on one website that coastal geomorphology and its relation to climatic change will be a growing area over the next decade.

I guess what I'm asking here is, like biology with genetics/biotech, does geology have a very promising area of research for the future where a lot lies to be discovered?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
RE: First post, you asked me the same question months ago, please see your messages.

The competition varies upon the boom bust cycle of the resources industry. During a boom, its easier to go into academia.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
RE: First post, you asked me the same question months ago, please see your messages.

The competition varies upon the boom bust cycle of the resources industry. During a boom, its easier to go into academia.
Cheers, yeah i reviewed the message, your reply had been satisfactory then, my apologies for the repeat. Though it would be interesting to see Davo's opinion if he has also done geology.

No worries, I thought it would be subject to the economic fluctuations.

Any thoughts on the last part of my question: i know its broad, but what are the "big" areas where a lot of research can be foreseen in the future, at least in your opinion?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
How important is chemistry knowledge
- not that important, I didnt do chem in hhigh school and havent had any major issues. Ive stayed away from 3rd year chem geology (taken the structural router), but other than thats its fine.

they mainly look to see if in your third year you covered structual geology and GIS...
quoted for truth

Is this a true assessment? I only have a few "extra" spaces for electives, tossing between an evolutionary biology/environmental science subject (very interested in the fossil record, basics of ecology etc), a few chem subjects, first yr enginereing maths (even then, probably just the autumn subject) or an intro to programming (computer science).
I did computer science, psyc and environmental science as electives in first year with my double geology degree. Everything bar the psyc was useful. Comp sci came in handy kind of for GIS. Env science is always useful when entering the mining industry. Exposes you to hippies.

I did high school physics, not too interested in doing anymore

I didnt do it, and not very interested.

\

The coordinator just said do what interests me...get decent marks, as long as you have a geology major, you'll get hired. You can learn extra stuff in masters programs if you needed it specifically for a job once your in the industry.
your coordinator is correct, while we have an industry upturn this is correct. If we have a downturn, we are all fucked.

f your interested in an academic/research career as aside from working as a geologist in industry, is geology/environmental sciences as competitive in comparison to say biological sciences to enter PhD programs and what areas of research are "hot" so to speak?

You can do a research career in both fields. Mining industry/geology are ALWAYS looking for new ways to increase efficiency.

I read on one website that coastal geomorphology and its relation to climatic change will be a growing area over the next decade.
I think more GIS than anything tbh. The sea is rising and people are scared they're going to wash away. Also bios are hired to look at long term impact, future effects on the env.

I guess what I'm asking here is, like biology with genetics/biotech, does geology have a very promising area of research for the future where a lot lies to be discovered?

of course dude, at the mine I work at, there are 20 geos, probably 3-4 of which go underground during the day, the rest stay on the surface. This is only at the mine, there are people in labs analysig the rocks etc.

PhilosopherKing

HSC
1/ Do geologists/geology students all drink lots: particularly beer?

2/ Do many hot girls do geology?

3/ Do you have to be able to put up with really hot weather and lots of bugs? (i hate flies)

Davo1111

HSC
N/A

3/ Do you have to be able to put up with really hot weather and lots of bugs? (i hate flies)
1)yes, although i didnt drink in 2nd year :p
2)not really - however there are a few diamonds in the rough.
3)yes, unless you become a research/lab technician.

(you can wear a mosquito fly netting to keep them off ur face, thats what i do in the core shed)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A

1. Yes and no.
2. At Usyd, yes lots. Last mine I worked at had more girls than guys in geology.
3. Depends. I work in a nice place atm, good weather, very few bugs. But have also worked in temps of 50 degrees with shitloads of flies, so yeh each to their own.

And no you dont have to if you work production. You don't go out that much compared to exploration.

sonic1988

The Rookie
HSC
Hi Velox and Davo,

Im currently in 3rd of my mining engineering degree. I would like to know how hard for you to find vacation work? Im struggling in finding vac work to fullfil my 80 days industry trainning requirement.

All answers are appreciated

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Hi Velox and Davo,

Im currently in 3rd of my mining engineering degree. I would like to know how hard for you to find vacation work? Im struggling in finding vac work to fullfil my 80 days industry trainning requirement.

All answers are appreciated
Quite hard, just apply everywhere and see how you go...particularly smaller companies.

Dont piss around with rio and bhp unless youve got straight HDs, even then, dont hold ur breath. They hardly have anyone go in.

Seems a but hypocritical of the mining industry, but they say "oh u must have experience", then they dont even have student work available to get this so called experience.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I'm about to do a Bachelor of Engineering (materials science) majoring in Process Metallurgy at UNSW.

Do guys like me make lots of money? :p

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Quite hard, just apply everywhere and see how you go...particularly smaller companies.

Dont piss around with rio and bhp unless youve got straight HDs, even then, dont hold ur breath. They hardly have anyone go in.

Seems a but hypocritical of the mining industry, but they say "oh u must have experience", then they dont even have student work available to get this so called experience.
Um that's not correct. Go search the whirlpool thread on BHPB vac programs and see what marks people had. I certainly didn't have straight HDs and I made it in to both.

The key is to apply everywhere, no matter what grades/experience you have.

BHPB and RIO have the biggest intakes for vac work. On my particular CSG there were about 17 people, but 1700 applied! I would say that is one of the larger intakes for a csg though.

As Davo said, try going to smaller companies, its easier there as they dont advertise as much.

I'm about to do a Bachelor of Engineering (materials science) majoring in Process Metallurgy at UNSW.

Do guys like me make lots of money? :p
Yes, if you move out of Sydney.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Haha thanks. Thats good news for me, as I don't give a shit where I live so long as theres food and books!

HSC
N/A
I'm currently doing an Environmental Science degree which just isn't doing it for me anymore, so I am going to transfer to a Geology degree when I get the chance. So I have some questions.

1. Are there uni's that have a lot more field work than others? Or is it a very theory based degree everywhere? Don't mind moving out of Sydney so any uni that comes to mind will be on my list.

2. Is it a very demanding career choice, ie. will I be taking my work home with me every night and never sleeping due to stress?

3. I'm rather interesed in working in Antarctica, do glacial studies come under the 'Geology' umbrella, or would that be something else?

I always hope to run into a geologist in a bar or something so i can bombard them with questions like these, but a sober input would probably be more benificial :)

Miner

HSC
3. I'm rather interesed in working in Antarctica, do glacial studies come under the 'Geology' umbrella, or would that be something else?
As you don't mind moving away from Sydney maybe you should be looking at the courses offered by UTAS like the Bachelor of Antarctic Science. Then you could progress to taking a honours course which is offered by the Institute of Antarctic and Southern Ocean Studies (IASOS)
http://courses.utas.edu.au/portal/p...L&P_COURSE_CODE=73P&P_YEAR=2010&P_CONTEXT=NEW

ddtng

HSC
1. Are there uni's that have a lot more field work than others? Or is it a very theory based degree everywhere? Don't mind moving out of Sydney so any uni that comes to mind will be on my list.
They should all have significant field work components or else they're not decent geology courses. Usyd/Macq has a major trip to various places in third year, last year was to Broken Hill. Other unis would have similar programs.

2. Is it a very demanding career choice, ie. will I be taking my work home with me every night and never sleeping due to stress?
Meet any geologist and you'll get this answered for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)