Carlingford High School subject selection (1 Viewer)

Pyros

HSC
I am in year 10 at epping boys but wanting to change to carlingford high school coz my school says I can only do maths standard. Does anyone know if I can choose subjects either at carlingford or parramatta high school. I want to do actuarial for uni so I need maths extension

HSC
Uni Grad
I am in year 10 at epping boys but wanting to change to carlingford high school coz my school says I can only do maths standard. Does anyone know if I can choose subjects either at carlingford or parramatta high school. I want to do actuarial for uni so I need maths extension
Both Carlingford and Parramatta offer Mathematics Extension 1 and 2. However, why has your school told you that you can only do Standard (I believe Maths Extension is also offered at your school, based on looking at its HSC Honour Roll?) Is it because of your performance in exams? Or having not studied the correct stream of maths (5.3)? (5.3 is also required to be studied by students looking to only take Mathematics Advanced, so if they are recommending Standard, which only requires some of 5.2...) It looks to me like these may be the reasons as your school does look like they offer Extension but of course I could be wrong.

You should have a talk to your teachers about why you need Mathematics Extension. I know many schools can block students from doing so if they feel they are not able to cope with the work. You could of course try to go to other schools if that fails, but first ask yourself, if your teachers are telling you to do Standard and not even Advanced, why are you considering Extension?

Pyros

HSC
I am getting 90% in 5.2 and my teacher initially said they would make sure I get into extension.

HSC
Uni Grad
I am getting 90% in 5.2 and my teacher initially said they would make sure I get into extension.
For Mathematics Advanced alone, you would need to have studied 5.3 as a prerequisite. As NESA's website says:

The Mathematics Advanced Year 11 course has been developed on the assumption that students have studied the content and achieved the outcomes of the Mathematics Years 7–10 Syllabus and in particular, the content and outcomes of all substrands of Stage 5.1 and Stage 5.2, and the following substrands of Stage 5.3:

• Algebraic techniques
  • Surds and indices
  • Equations
  • Linear relationships
  • Trigonometry and Pythagoras’ theorem
  • Single variable data analysis
and at least some of the content from the following substrands of Stage 5.3:

• Non-linear relationships
  • Properties of Geometrical Shapes.
For Extension 1, the prerequisite is also having studied all the above, including:

• Polynomials
  • Logarithms
  • Functions and Other Graphs
  • Circle Geometry.
If you have not touched any of 5.3, much less the optional substrands in the list just above this sentence, then the expectation is that you will find Extension 1 (and also Advanced) difficult. Completing only 5.1 and 5.2 is the prerequisite for Mathematics Standard, which is why your mathematics faculty have said you can only do Standard, as those are the only requirements you have fulfilled.

Pyros

HSC
I have already studied those topics outside of school.

HSC
Uni Grad
Did you inform your teachers you were self-studying 5.3 outside of school during your subject selection process, or if you were planning to take Extension from the very beginning of the year tell them then? You can consult your teachers on why you need Extension (and tell them why barring you from the Extension class would be detrimental) and perhaps even ask for the chance to sit the 5.3 exam for your school to test your knowledge and prove yourself capable of the Advanced and Extension courses.

If they still do not let you, you can attempt to move schools (I am not sure if public schools are still accepting enrolments but they may be); but you would have to let them know that you self-studied 5.3 as you were only placed in 5.1 (edit: I meant 5.2).

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
yh you can! One of my friends went to parra, and is now doing 4u after being in a 5.2 in year 10. But he had to work really hard and had to get above a certain cutoff or something in yearlies for 5.3 test that was optional for him.

Also edit: whilst actuarial is perfectly doable with 3u maths, many uni students I have talked have advised that ppl doing 3u maths can find it challenging to do the coursework. So if you wanna do actuarial, you should try to consider taking up 4u maths later on. But for now doing 3u would be a good must!

Vall

HSC
Only thing I would add to this is go talk to your teachers ASAP. You don't want to end up being forced into a standard class at the start of next year and end up being week/s behind by the time you eventually get into an extension class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)