Carrotsticks' Solutions HSC 2016 Extension 1 Mathematics (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Apologies for not getting it done as soon as I usually do. I could only start at around 8pm when I got home from work.

This is a first draft so please let me know if there are any typos!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vb6n3csfnin2bz/HSC 2016 Extension 1 Solutions.pdf?dl=0

My feedback on this year's HSC paper.

- Very easy HSC paper in comparison to previous years. No questions in there that required any real thinking on behalf of the student.

- Too many calculation questions!

- Question 1 of MC, seriously? In an Extension 1 paper? Surely there are other and more relevant topics in need of examining.

- Question 9 of MC. More so confusing than anything else. Relies on 'to scale' measurements, not good.

Q11: Standard.

Q12: I like (b), a bit of a twist on the usual problems of this type.

Q13: (a) why define t to be the time after the first high tide TODAY, and then define "high tide TOMORROW" at 2am? Unnecessarily confusing for the students. (b) given the placement in the paper, there was too much guidance here for students.

Q14: (a) this really could have been placed earlier in the paper. (c) is way too easy for an 'end of exam' question.

Overall, a bit disappointed with this year's paper. I do not want a paper that tears the students to shreds, but at the same time you need to also give the stronger students an opportunity to shine in Extension 1. This paper did not allow that. I am expecting heavy competition for the top 10 this year.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just had a look at some of the other solutions out available out there. I am not exactly pleased with how brief and disorganised/rushed they are at times.

The point of the solutions is for other people to read and understand your work, and most importantly for future cohorts to learn from your solutions. Not so then you can brag "Look at me I was the first to release solutions". I think this point has been forgotten unfortunately.

fluffchuck

HSC
Nice work, but on page 13, 2nd last line, you forgot to flip the LHS and add a negative (since its a normal).
The answer is still correct.

Trickat3

HSC
I think I cracked under the pressure and forgot really simple things, but thanks for the solutions. A great help.

Reubdog

HSC
hi I was wandering if you had also done the solutions to the 2016 HSC Mathematics paper

student5

HSC
Hey, the link does not work anymore. Is it possible to post it again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)