cars around 30k? sp23 or civic sport? (1 Viewer)

wyho

HSC
N/A
hi i am about to purchase a new car and my top 2 list is the sp23 and the civic sport. which one do u think is better in relation to their specifications and the design? also are there any other cars about the same price (around 30-35k) that can match these 2 cars?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think this was debated recently in another thread (the whole SP23 vs. Civic Sport)...

Performance-wise I'd pick the SP23; especially if you can afford the leather/bose pack.

However, for value for money but not so great performance, the Civic Sport is hard to beat. Civic Sport (IMO) looks better both outside and inside, and the interior feels to be of a more advanced/classy feel than the now somewhat dated "black/red" look of the SP23. That is a personal preference of course, but I've found that even in demo model SP23s, the interior was not up to the standard I'd expect from a $35k car.

As for other cars available, can you drive turbo (ie. are you a new P Plater)? If not, you could always wait for new Impreza/Lancer, Astra, Alfa 147, Festiva, Golf, etc...

I personally was picking between Astra CDX Coupe (1.8L), Honda Civic VTi-L (don't get this- either go VTi or Sport; VTi-L is pointless I've realised), SP23, 147 and Mini Cooper. I ended up with the VTi-L Civic as it was the nicest feel to me, liked the drive, decent power for a 1.8L, etc...

wyho

HSC
N/A
is the sp23 going to have a change in style sooner or later? what i mean is that i heard every models undergoes a change in the outside design, eg the new civic, also the camry 1994 -->1999-->2004 etc. sorry i dont know much about cars, i just dont want to buy the sp23 and then suddenly the a new mazda 3 newer design comes out.

lengy

HSC
Nothing in Wheels current issue says anything about a facelift for the Mazda 3 this year.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
They just facelifted the Mazda 3 in mid-2006, so don't expect a new model until at least mid-2008 (and probably in Aus by early 2009).

For SP23 and civic sport - you'll have to pay a bit more than $30k. Driveaway price would be closer to $33k, and depends if you need an auto or not.

Shimian

HSC
wyho said:
hi i am about to purchase a new car and my top 2 list is the sp23 and the civic sport. which one do u think is better in relation to their specifications and the design? also are there any other cars about the same price (around 30-35k) that can match these 2 cars?
I personally would choose the Civic Sport cos I have one :) .
But ill give u my opinion to help you decide. Im pretty sure today, both these cars go for about $35,000 driveaway. If that is your max $ limit, then it will leave no room for mods if you plan on doing so. When i say mods, maybe you want to upgrade ur rims, or get a nice sound system. If you plan on modding, then get yourself the VTI-L civic or the Mazda 3, but again im biased and will choose the Civic. If you dont plan on modding, then Civic Sport for me.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't get VTi-L.. not worth it. Either go for the Sport, or get base VTi and upgrade the rims/parts yourself.

wyho

HSC
N/A
thanks alot guys for your help, i think i will go for the valuable civic sport =) even though it doesnt have the BOSE system in which the sp23 has in them. i reckon they shouldnt call it "sport" cos it just sounds lame, i reckon it should be something like gt,gti,sp,rx (those types of initials instead), thats my opinion though.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In Asia they don't call it sport- they just call it "2.0" which makes alot more sense IMO.

Anyhow, as a pointer, the sound system isn't too bad... but you'll definitely want to upgrade it yourself if you're serious (and you were even comparing it to the Bose setup in the SP23).

wyho

HSC
N/A
hey im sorry if this is a stupid question but what is IMO?

anyway are there any vw cars thats sporty and around 35-40k? gti is too expensive so i aint gona think about it lols...

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
IMO= in my opinion
im starting to fall in love with the volkswagen golf....that might be my first car once i saved enough money which is probably in a few years lol

lengy

HSC
Not everyone wants to drive a tuner, especially when so many tryhards drive one.
Also the insurance is higher for a grey import and you can't always be sure of the reliability.

Monstar

HSC
from what i hear, isnt the Sp23 a turbo charged vehicle? im assuming you're on Ps, so doesnt it make the mazda option obsolete?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Riet said:
Get an R32 GT-R you pussy.
... not everyone wants to drive a 2nd hand car; even if it is "cool" or "fast".

SashatheMan said:
does anyone have a pic of the interior of the civic. i hear people say its really good.
Looks better in person than on the web. It's more the 'allusion of space' using light/bright greys (instead of the trendy blacks) in a small sub-$25k car which is what makes it good.

Monstar said:
from what i hear, isnt the Sp23 a turbo charged vehicle? im assuming you're on Ps, so doesnt it make the mazda option obsolete?
SP23 is the 2.3L N/A engine. You might be thinking of the turbocharged "Mazda 3 MPS" which is the high performance "pocket-rocket" edition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)