Case law relating to majority verdicts... (1 Viewer)

sbeydoun91

In za box, which is
HSC
N/A
Does anyone know of any case law relating to majority verdicts? Such as recent cases where a majority verdict has been used, or cases where a unanimous verdict has proven difficult and time-consuming? Any other thoughts on majority verdicts in general are also welcome. :)

Thanks! ^_^

m&ss2008

HSC
the case of R v. Bruce Burrell was the catalyst for converting to majority verdicts.

basically Burrell was accused of kidnapping and murdering Sydney mother Kerry Whelan in 1997 but pleaded not guilty. the jury was hung at 11-1 in favour of guilty but one juror wouldnt budge, so the case was put aside. six years later the trial restarted and a unanimous vote found him guilty. he was sentenced to life imprisonment

nsw had been contemplating majority verdicts beforehand, but this case cost the state huge sums of money and let a murderer walk for six years.
now an 11-1 majority verdict is acceptable after at least eight hours of deliberation.

i did that case study a while ago, and its definitely one of the best you can choose for majority verdicts. if you have any other questions ill do my best to help.:wave:

morganjane

HSC
i completed an assignment on majority verdicts based on R v Bruce Burrel.
thats all i really can say, its the only case I was provided with.
but that case is strong backing to common law influence upon the legal system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)