Case Studies (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
Just wondering - What case studies will your class be doing this year?

We already did 'Artists, Politics and Social Commentary' last term, and had to work on it at home during the holidays.

My teacher gave us a list of what we're doing this year a few days ago, and it all looks really good! We're doing-

-Contemporary Southeast Asian Artmaking
-Asian Eyes, Western Practice
-Re-inventing and Subverting Tradition
-The Yellow Peril
-Looking Across Cultures

Lots of Asiana ! :D

biggie walls

HSC
whoa your ones look really interesting and challenging...

last term we did "The case for Marcel Duchamp"

mainly looking at how he was a revolutionary artist and all

not sure what were doing throughout the year

i think just: pop art, post modernism etc. etc. etc.

(haha i paraphrased your username)

anyways i got 29/30 for my Duchamp essay so im happy with that!

HSC
N/A
And here I was thinking you were doing a case study on me! :eek:

Yeah, ours are pretty damn interesting. I'm really looking forward to 'Asian Eyes, Western Practice'. One of my art teachers many university qualifications happens to be a degree in Asian Studies (he's the type of person my Dad refers to as a 'uni junkie') - so we look into a lot of work from those regions.

It's great really, because I myself am very interested in Asian Culture and Religion, and also, having the knowledge of contemporary Asian artists and artmaking practice will give me a competitive edge over the students who have only learnt about Western artists and practice.

Congrats on the 29/30 for the Duchamp essay ! Keep up the fantastic work :wave:

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
I'd die if we had to do Asian studies in art, and I can say this with impunity because I am Asian:p It's probably because I've always been exposed to it so it doesn't spark an interest anymore. But I'm glad you're interested in it! The topic 'Asian Eyes. Western Practice' sounds interesting.

I'm not sure what case studies we're doing yet. We've done one already (The role of the Critic and the Curator) and we're getting another one tomorrow. :)

Armic

HSC
We are doing a Case Study on [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Yasumasa Morimura[/SIZE][/FONT]. We found out today about it, its kinda creepy and funny at the same time.

I can't remember what other Case Studies we are doing, but they are based on Post-Modern artists... though I think the next one is on Andy Goldsworthy and is based on art and nature.

I think we did one on Tracy Emin but I'm not sure if its a official Case Study.

I actually don't really know that we were doing Case Studies until today :confused:

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Case Study 1: Abstract Expressionism, studied Kandinsky, Mondrian, Pollock, de Kooning, Motherwell and Basquiat. (term 4)

Currently studying/slaving away at
Case Study 2: The Body in Western Tradition, studying Prehistoric, Egyptian, Archaic Greek, Classical Greek, Hellenistic Greek and Medieval

Case Study 3: BOW Artists, six of these, i've only picked three for the time being as I have to do another three this term, Bill Henson, Ana Mendieta and Rene Magritte

Armic: We did Yasumasa Morimura in Yr 11 for Self Portraiture, he's a pretty strange bloke, appropriating all those famous works of art with his own facial features. I agree with you on the Case Study issue, I didn't think they counted...oh i'm a tool.

Biggie Walls: Did Marcel Duchamp in Term 1, Year 11, for "The Found Object"
"R Mutt"

Etc aka Collette Darling: AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH we're not doing any asian stuff that i'm aware of...hmm.... racissssssst art theory! :)

Armic

HSC
Art History is a bit strange for me since my Theory teacher left last year, so I have my prac teacher teaching me instead. I'm just as confused as she is Xp.

Don't forget Morimura likes to dress up as Bridget Bardot and Marylin Monroe...

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Armic said:
Art History is a bit strange for me since my Theory teacher left last year, so I have my prac teacher teaching me instead. I'm just as confused as she is Xp.

Don't forget Morimura likes to dress up as Bridget Bardot and Marylin Monroe...
Mmmm cross dressing artists....
Morimura as Marilyn Munroe..how sexy.
just going off on a random tangent, self portrait artist Frida Kahlo did a similar thing, dressed as a man in photographs...

HSC
N/A
From the Syllabus-

9.3 Art Criticism and Art History Requirements
9.3.1 Case studies in the HSC course
A series of case studies (a minimum of FIVE) should be undertaken with students in the HSC course. However, students may be introduced to case studies in the Preliminary course following more broadly based understanding being developed about practice, the conceptual framework and frames.

Case studies should be 4–10 hours in duration in the HSC course. Other more general critical and historical learning opportunities should continue to be offered during the course.
---

The purpose of the case studies, is to give you significant understanding of particular areas in the Visual Arts (a broad view, and in more detail), that will assist you in writing your response to Section II in the HSC exam.

I'm pretty sure that all schools assess them in some way - as part of the Critical and Historical Study that makes up 50% of your Internal Assessment mark.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
etc. etc. etc. said:
From the Syllabus-

9.3 Art Criticism and Art History Requirements
9.3.1 Case studies in the HSC course
A series of case studies (a minimum of FIVE) should be undertaken with students in the HSC course. However, students may be introduced to case studies in the Preliminary course following more broadly based understanding being developed about practice, the conceptual framework and frames.

Case studies should be 4–10 hours in duration in the HSC course. Other more general critical and historical learning opportunities should continue to be offered during the course.
---

The purpose of the case studies, is to give you significant understanding of particular areas in the Visual Arts (a broad view, and in more detail), that will assist you in writing your response to Section II in the HSC exam.

I'm pretty sure that all schools assess them in some way - as part of the Critical and Historical Study that makes up 50% of your Internal Assessment mark.

Just found out that we're doing 7 case studies
I think i'm going to keel over and die now....7 fucking subjects, aaaaaaaaaaaaargh

whiteeagle

HSC
etc. etc. etc. said:
It's great really, because I myself am very interested in Asian Culture and Religion, and also, having the knowledge of contemporary Asian artists and artmaking practice will give me a competitive edge over the students who have only learnt about Western artists and practice.
If so, please check out Lee Bul. Her works are not only cultural but also reflect the major aspects of Comtemporary Art (especially the use of technological advances).Futher more, her installations and public performances broaden the relationship between the artist - audience in term of attracting accidental audience, thus provoke another level of response.

I can see that you are interested in 2D works but it worth looking at Bul's performances as they are closely related to your case studies listed above.

Ps: stuff about Lee Bul in the Artwise isnt enough

Last edited:

Hsc-mad-like-me

HSC
we get to chose are case study depanding on what are BOW is about
my frist one is Time and places (Salavdo Dali) should be good .... not lol:rofl:
hmmm it kind of wird huh ?
I'm mad your mad, that why i so differnt from you

Last edited:

vcd0304

HSC
man.. my case study is due tmr!!

we're doing "Piss Christ" Serrano..

hope i won't stay up all nite to do it.. =.="

btw, i'm new to the forum.. so.. hey guys.. i'm emma:wave:

maggie bea

HSC
um... i m scared... we have done NO theory in art all year... shud i b worried? coz... we dont do case studies... or nefing really.... is nebody else in this situation? i often get tired of art classes becoz we do absolutely nothing in them, ur classes sound really interesting...

miZzme19

HSC
hey there...i agree

im new to the forum toOoo....i love visual arts but it seems like im always so lost with it..my teacher doesnt explain things like wat your teachers explain..i usually have to teach my self WHICH SUCKS....its seems like your art classes are so much more interesting and u learn really COOL TOPICS!!...all we did in class for our CASE STUDY was APPROPRIATION..and just research artist who practiced it.....how sucky...i did aiigt in it tho...got [55/60]......

i wish my classes are more interesting!!!...waaahhh....

i like this thing too!...people helping people...im gonna use it from now on :p

TORANA BOY

HSC
My god.. i just realised how much it sucks to be at a selective high school and be a dumb shit.... Our case studies get given wide open, general topics, and although it always seems easier, in the end the teachers still say that the artist you chose wasnt suitable, even when you told them who you were doing like 5 weeks ago!!! Anyone know of a descent sculpture artist whos main concept revolves around "identity" (our current case study) The other ones we have done are rennaisance (yawn) "environment" and social comment. this is really a last resort as im freakin out about not having an artist, and its due in like 6 days!! 4 of which are unusable. AAAARRRGGHH.
CHEERS Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)