Case studies (1 Viewer)

Stargal

How important is using case studies in an exam, how many do you suggest I should know? Also, is the extended response always a report?

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
case studies r very important

i suggest one case study per essay

danman

You MUST include a case study in your extended response (part 4) in the HSC exam. Good case studies include Qantas from Tim Riley Publications and the new CCA case study in the Leading Edge Business Studies Update (www.leadingedge.com.au for more information)...also talk to your teacher!

jay9nine

lonley plz msg me
if you look at the past papers youll see that they incorporate them into the extended repose so you do need one.

they say one per topic but at my school we use one company for all the topics. we get the qantas booklets ask your business teacher about getting them because thier really good. their made for the hsc business course and they follow the syllabus so you have all the information you need.

there not made by qantas, ive forgotten who does but ill find out how to order them and tell you when i find out.

santaslayer

HSC
my biz teacher said that howeva good ur biz report is, without the case study the ,most u will eva get is a 12/20

PhiL

I very much doubt less than 12. In the hsc last year, i only put one in, and it was only 3 lines tagged on at the end,cause i forgot, and i ended up getting 93, so it cant be that bad.

Stargal

Thanks guys. I already have the quantas case study too (i think everyone gets that one) but the other major case study im doing is Mcdonalds you know for the global company assignment. But im not so sure if that's a good idea coz i think a lot of people would use it. Is it bad to use case studies that are really common?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh u need to have a case study for every topic because you dont know what the business report is on
for management and change we used bonlac and qantas.. for ER we used our business report (i did tristar) as the dispute (or the patrick stevedores one) and toys r us for all other ER stuff

santaslayer

HSC
no.....its not bad to have common case studies......the BOS recognises that similar case studies will appear becoz only a handful of companies particapate in this.......so dont worry if its common.....ur job is to make it stand out

AGB

HSC
also with case studies, it is very handy to have one that covers every topic (such as qantas)... the hsc questions from a couple of years ago were:

Question 27 (20 marks)

Over the past two decades, the push for globalisation has had a significant impact on how businesses are managed.

With reference to a global business you have studied, analyse the drivers of globalisation, and how the business has developed its marketing strategies in response to the push for globalisation.

OR

Question 28 (20 marks)

To be successful in the twenty-first century, businesses will need increasingly to market their product on a global basis.

With reference to a global business you have studied, analyse the elements of its marketing plan, and how it manages the marketing of its products on a global scale.

Come hsc time, if you got a question like either of these you must have a case study that fits into marketing and global business....

If you had qantas as your main case study then you would have been set, however if you had just learnt individual case studies for each topic or each syllabus dot point then you would have been pretty screwed :(

santaslayer

HSC
yea......southcorp covers every topic......if u have access to it then it would be a really good one to do

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
did anyone else have to pay for their qantas one? my friend had to pay like $25 or something.. pssh
my business teacher said its easy to make stuff up.. like if u dont know their turnover just say like 30% because they cant really prove or disprove it.. or any kinda thing like that
u just cant really say its 70% or they have no debts or something outrageous like that

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
um, its better not to make up stuff. I mean, the marker will be reading like, god, i dunno, 20000 people do business studies, do you pick a number. So this very bored marker will be repetitively marking x amount of papers, and like 70% (at least) will be using qantas case study. If 80% of these people say that the turnover is 20%, then he will kinda know that someone is bull****ting. ;)

i dunno though, if your teacher says you CAN make up stuff, you could.

Or you could learn the actual thing. Not all that ahrd, start now. You have like 7 months. hehe

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh i know but we arent doing common case studies
like we r doing tristar.. toys r us.. and i meant that we only make things up to sound good (to have more to write about).. not because its actually listed somewhere but we didnt bother learning it
like with tristar.. i doubt that anywhere its listed the turnover rates.. profitability ratio.. days absenteeism or anything
it might be listed for qantas.. but if we say something they arent going to get online and search for it.. they cant even leave the room the r marking in

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, fair enough. I was takling about the qantas case study though. If you do qantas, do NOT make up stuff. hehe, you'll have to find out how many other people are using your case studies.

I dunno, at the end it'll be your choice, but you have HEAPS of stuff to talk about without making stuff up, i reckon. lol

whatever you end up doing, good luck. ^__^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)