• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Case studies (1 Viewer)

2rko

HSC
i need information on case studies .. i really dont udnerstand how to create a case study ... i read something survivor39 wrote .. except it didnt help .. howwould i do a case study exactly?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hi 2rko, what aspects of case studies do you have problems with? Or is it the term itself?

Really, a case study is a general methodolgy to gather both primary and secondary information about your topic. It is 'general' because in order to create a good case studies, you need to combine a number of suitable methodolgies, such as interviews, questionnaires and a number of secondary research, to obtain information that you need.
So a case studies in not a single methodology, but a multiple of different methodolgies that in effect, act as one that gather the best possible information for that particular person, or group.

I hope this clarify the fundamental approach to what a case studies requires.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Examples of how you can create a case study.

Say you want to make a case study of teachers at your school. You need to list down all the things that you want to find about about teachers at your school. e.g;

1. How do teachers act in front of students differ to how they act in front of other teachers?

For this question, you would use observation, as your methodology. Observe their behaviours in the classroom, in the staff room.

2. What is your society and culture expect of your class at the end of this year?

For this, you will need to interview your teacher; asking him/her what goals do you expect his/her class to achieve in Society and Culture.

3. What are teachers' duties in school?

For this, you need to utilise secondary research, such as looking at school's website, and search for School's Policies to find your answers.

Combining all three methodologies, you can create yourself a little case study!

2rko

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Really, a case study is a general methodolgy to gather both primary and secondary information about your topic. It is 'general' because in order to create a good case studies, you need to combine a number of suitable methodolgies, such as interviews, questionnaires and a number of secondary research, to obtain information that you need.
So a case studies in not a single methodology, but a multiple of different methodolgies that in effect, act as one that gather the best possible information for that particular person, or group.
you really answered my question there .. thanks a lot :uhhuh:
for my case study im going to interview and observe ...
with observation do i just write down my findings by observing them and thats it?
also .. with the case study ... in an essay or a speech do i have to say something like "i did a case study on *such and such* and the results were *blablabla*" or do we just incorporate the findings without mentioning the case study :eek:
can i pm you with the question so you understand me better?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think in your essay or speech, it is better to mention you have used case study as a methodology to approach your topic, as this shows that you have thought about the best possible way to obtain your answer. You can say "The case study conducted involves interviews, observation and secondary research...." and then inform your results.

With observation, or participant observation for that matter, you need to record down what you see, and also your interpretation of what you see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)