Case Studies (1 Viewer)

PakMan

HSC
Hi everyone

I was just wondering how case studies should be used in business studies. How should they be mentioned in exams and how many do we need to get the top marks. Also, do we need case studies linking to specific areas of business eg Marketing.

Thanks in advance!!

HSC
most of business studies is answering questions in relation to a case study, rarely are you asked to define something on its own

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Without Wings said:
you need case studies for practically evebry topic becaue u wont know wot q could be askled...case studies are to be used as examples
Should you use case studies (e.g. Qantas) in short answer responses, or is it only necessary for Section IV? (or is it Section III?)

PakMan

HSC
Should case studies be "supplied" by your teacher or do we have to get them ourselves?

Kulazzi

HSC
it should be supplied, however if you're not comfortable with using that acse study, then you can get your own and also use it as a back-up

Kulazzi

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Should you use case studies (e.g. Qantas) in short answer responses, or is it only necessary for Section IV? (or is it Section III?)
I think mainly in the essay q's, not sure, because most short answers questions give you a finance statement/ scenario to evluate and analyse and then provide info from your analysis

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Kulazzi said:
I think mainly in the essay q's, not sure, because most short answers questions give you a finance statement/ scenario to evluate and analyse and then provide info from your analysis
kullazzi ur rite :) the essay question will specificially say if u need it or not
e.g. in my 1/2 yearly one did and one didnt
the one that did in the top things u know the bullet points
u will be assessed on using:
-business terminology
-blah blach
-relevant case studies-knowledge of topic

only if it says case studies up the top u should refer to it
if not then dont worry bout it
and for short answers they are mostly responding 2 a stimulus anyways

HSC
case studies are quite marvelous things...
I mean it's probably the most likely thing that will make your report distinct to the paper before and after you...it can be the most interesting fact that you throw in (as an example of course) thus a thorough comprehension of your case study will ensure that you are able to apply it all the topics of the Bs course.

as to how many you should know. It is also most probable tht your case study may be vague or not as clear in a topic...so then the most logical thing to do would be to find your own case study which full satisfies the criteria of that particular topic.

ritio then...im outz :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Btw. the rubric says "Use your knowledge and relevant case study/studies"

Does that mean that we can refer to more than one case study for a particular response?

goan_crazy

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:

Does that mean that we can refer to more than one case study for a particular response?
yes of course you can refer to more than one. Thats great if u can...that will show ur a better student. I got told that at a HSC business studies lecture i went to in the holidays. My school is using Coca Cola but at the lecture we were all given full notes on fosters as a supplimentary case study or if a persons school didnt focus on a case study. But majority of schools do qantas, billabong, fosters, coke, IMAX etc. As long as u know something about one case study u shouldnt worry. Im only really focusing on coke to be honest.

Lorie

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:

Yeah it's good to have lots of case studies, then it avoids u telling stuff about a case study that isn't relevant to the question. There is no point in explaining about CCA's marketing plan, when the question is asking about finance and global business. I found the best way to find a case study, was to read alot of newspaper articles and watch business related shows. This gave me a fresh look at business in practice. I had a fair few case stuides that i could've used that were current but weren't studied, such as Bundy rum, virgin airlines, HIH, onetel, gloria jeans, harvey norman, rip curl, james hardie, Nike etc.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
Well that was our case study for the year. We could have chosen another one but that would have be too fussy because you need a lot of info. The booklet we got of Qanta was really informative, but I would have prefered to do something else

goan_crazy

HSC
At a business lecture, the man said you can even make up the case study if you want. In some schools they have to...
But i reckon, it would prob be better if u had one that people do.
I'm doing coke

goan_crazy

HSC
Without Wings said:
you can, yes. but no-one HAS to make on up, as you said, they would choose to. if you get desperate and you cant remember anything baout your casestudy you can always make one up, but dont use the name of another business - coz other ppl could have done the real case study...also ensure wot you write seems like it could be true and not just anything that seems to sound good
yeah that was what i was meaning, if u get stuck and cant remember stuff. If u do, integrate the business terminology and use the case study to back it up
ill give an example, if talking about management theories say that coca cola uses the contingency approach because not only one theory applies to the business
or another example could be with marketing, a situational analysis of Coke, that wouldnt b too hard 2 make up points for if u forgot the main ones

goan_crazy

HSC
Without Wings said:
but joe you cant make up facts about a business like coca cola amatil - heaps of other people will be using coke as their examples and yours will stand out as being wrong as its different to all the others, if you can remember facts about the business and know that it applies pretty well, but you're just unsure of one little thing, go for it, but you cant make up a whole lot of lies that could be totally wrong

the marker would look at it and say "ha, this person made up a case study, because theirs is totally different to everyone else who did coca cola amatil"
thanks without wings...nah i wasnt planning 2 make up facts on coca cola amital, i was just saying that if i forgot somethin such as the situational analysis i could just make up points based on the info i know or hav learnt about it etc.
I'm not going to make up my case study as i realise alot of people do coke. I refered to coke a bit in my extended response in my business exam 1/2 yearly. I dont have business 2day so i dont know how i went but ill let u know tomorrow once ive got it back. We had 2 ext responses. one u had 2 refer to a case study and the other was just on knowledge...
but yeah thanks 4 ur advice :) was appreciated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)