• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cash Rate (1 Viewer)

Ch00

HSC
N/A
The rate of interest on funds in the short-term money market. The RBA will use its monetary policy framework to influence the cash rate which will have a ripple effect throughout the economy.

aditya

HSC
no offence but u should really know that.... or have the resourcesfullness to find out VERY easily - shrugs

kikujiro

the cash rate is the minimum interest rate(the smallest possible interest rate) and is the foundation of all other interest rates.
It's determined by the RBA and achieved through the buying and selling of second hand government bonds in the short term money market.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
RBA website is usually a fair go for such info. :p

caps04

Yes, it is a basic supply and demand diagram. The RBA acts to shift the Money Supply Curve using its Domestic Market Operations. A tightening of monetary policy implies a decrease in money supply and vice versa. The price of money (y-axis) is the cash rate! Another thing, money supply is constant (ie: it is a straight vertical line). The demand curve is still downward sloping. If any further points need clarifying, I am happy to assist.

Conspirocy

HSC
i really dont think you should use the cash rate diagram unless you have been taught it at school, or you sit down and learn it from a teacher.

- this is because sure while you could go and memorise this one diagram, you wouldnt fully understand it, and its not as simple as whats actually there, there is a lot more to it.
- second, because you dont have to actually use the diagram to write a good essay on monetary policy (im assuming thats why u want the diagram) --> you could just talk through the stages from the RBA changing the cash rate, and the after effects

thats just me...im jeleous of the diagram i guess

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Conspirocy said:
i really dont think you should use the cash rate diagram unless you have been taught it at school, or you sit down and learn it from a teacher.

- this is because sure while you could go and memorise this one diagram, you wouldnt fully understand it, and its not as simple as whats actually there, there is a lot more to it.
- second, because you dont have to actually use the diagram to write a good essay on monetary policy (im assuming thats why u want the diagram) --> you could just talk through the stages from the RBA changing the cash rate, and the after effects

thats just me...im jeleous of the diagram i guess
Is there more to the determination of the cash rate than what is taught in HSC Economics? If so, do you learn about it at uni if you do a BCom or BEcon?

Conspirocy

HSC
first of all in high school i got taught using the dixon book. i didnt get taught the above cash rate diagram, so for me there was more to learn in university economics which im doing now.

so, yes and no like im saying that all the stuff about the cash rate and its diagrams you dont need to know to get a band 6.

you learn the basic fundementals, and how to describe the cause and effect.
- like you could go into the payments system more
- you could learn some of the mathematics behind what happens when you influence the momey suppy
- you could go into the in the second round effects rather than the initial change

what im trying to say is, you can get a band 6 by just understanding the relationships as second nature, like a rise in cash rate, is caused by reducing the money supply so the RBA sells government securities. this leads to an increase in the cost of money (interest rate) so then a fall in consumer and business spending leads to a fall in aggregate demand and a reduction in inflation. i wrote like this in my hsc, and while now after getting taught the diagrams at uni it makes perfect sense to use a diagram. At the HSC level there was no need for me to do so.

it also depends on how you were taught aggregate demand and supply
- riley textbook has a different way to the AS-AD model, different to what without wings used with the 45 degree angle for AS

but overally, yes at university you do learn more about economics in general and even though you might already know some things (like the cash rate diagram) you might not have been expected to know them until now.

hope that answers your question

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Conspirocy, the cash rate diagram was in the 2003 HSC exam in the short answer section. (last question)

I advise all student to know it and what it means.

Last edited:

Conspirocy

HSC
Deus said:
Conspirocy, the cash rate diagram was in the 2003 HSC exam in the short answer section. (last question)

I advise all student to know it and what it means.
well there you go, looks like you need to know it

glad i didnt get it in the hsc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)