• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Casual / Part-time Jobs (1 Viewer)

*rUsTy*

HSC
Zrap said:
You should just live off your parents.
I havent ever had a job, good resume, nope.
only positive thing i live my childhood longer and more time to focus
on studying and not have to stress about that.
Bad thing is good resume, no.
Our teacher says you should only work 10-12hrs during year 12.
Yeah well this is true if you wanna be a spoilt brat with no independence by the time you turn 18... I love working and don't regret getting a job at 15. I have never not had a job since then. For me it wasn't stressful it just meant meeting more friends, something to do on weekends and during holidays as well as extra money that I wanted to spend on myself.

If your in year 12 I agree that you should cut down your hours a lot and stop altogether when it comes closer to the HSC.

nivin80

HSC
I recommend looking for jobs in the call centre industry. They provide tend to provide very flexible hours and very decent pay (15-20 AUD per hour).

I used to work around 20 hours per week at 18.50 so that was pretty decent income for week. Also, during exam times most of the companies I worked for were pretty understanding and made as many concessions as possible.

Plus, you'll be sitting down most of the time so you wont completely tired out by the time you get to studying.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bassistx said:
Since October? Lmfao. You're so lucky.
I've applied for Coles, Woolworths, whatever... Almost every damned store/medical centre/etc.

Since June 2005. So you figure out how long it's been. Over 2 years. And NOTHING.

I update all my applications and everything and pester them about it, but don't get anything back. It's so ridiculous. They keep saying they don't have any openings. Pfft, yeah right! My friends got a job after a couple of weeks!

It sucks. And I have references/previous work experience too. I'm experienced, how can they give the job to an inexperienced person? I guess they want to teach them their ways, without having to overwrite the previous employer's rules.. Grrr.
haha i'm in exactly the same situation. it's so frustrating. i really need a job because i can't expect my parents to keep paying for shit like transport fares, which they do at the moment, because i have no money. :( the only work i have been able to get is temporary (by which i mean like, one day doing a random task type work) which doesn't go very far. i worked at the election in november but the money i earned from it was gone by january just because i had things i needed and travelled a lot in that time (just on the train, bus, etc). and i have experience!!! bah!!

kennychan222

HSC
Perhaps KFC, Hungry Jack, Pizza Hut, Coles and Woolworths may offer plenty of jobs. Many People would like to apply for crews as their first job. The salary is reasonable ($16 - 20 per hour) and flexible hours is also available.

Yeah! Many Uni students need lots of money for spending, they would like to find their part-time job as soon as possible. Is it suitable for uni. student finding part-time jobs?

bassistx

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
haha i'm in exactly the same situation. it's so frustrating. i really need a job because i can't expect my parents to keep paying for shit like transport fares, which they do at the moment, because i have no money. :( the only work i have been able to get is temporary (by which i mean like, one day doing a random task type work) which doesn't go very far. i worked at the election in november but the money i earned from it was gone by january just because i had things i needed and travelled a lot in that time (just on the train, bus, etc). and i have experience!!! bah!!
I know omg transport is a killer. Just 5 days of going to UNSW and back cost me almost $40.. with concession!! If I had to pay petrol, I'd end up on working on Parramatta Rd lol.

KFC, McD's, etc. only pay like $6 an hour. It's not worth it, I wouldn't slave over a grill for 6 bucks. And anyway, I wouldn't be able to work there because of all the damned meat haha. It's retail or nothing for me and the only thing available seems to be in fast food industry. Bah.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
bassistx said:
I know omg transport is a killer. Just 5 days of going to UNSW and back cost me almost $40.. with concession!! If I had to pay petrol, I'd end up on working on Parramatta Rd lol.

KFC, McD's, etc. only pay like $6 an hour. It's not worth it, I wouldn't slave over a grill for 6 bucks. And anyway, I wouldn't be able to work there because of all the damned meat haha. It's retail or nothing for me and the only thing available seems to be in fast food industry. Bah.
$6.80 for like 14 year olds but 18 year olds get around $13 at Maccas, $12.60 at Pizza Hut/KFC(depends on which franchise).

HSC
jirwin said:
babikakez can i have ur job?

sounds like a great job to have at this time of ur life. i would be too scared/shy to leave a nasty note.
I work at Woolworths, if your wondering. I know that other people bitch about Woolworths, Big W, Coles etc, but you've just got to find a way to make it work for you.

A lot of my workmates get treated like crap, a girl I work with and go to school with (in Year 12) has set her availability at 4-6.30 Monday and 8-3 Saturday. Now she said that if they vary her Saturday it won't bother her too much, but last week she was given shifts on Friday and Wednesday. And she didn't say anything about it. This person is typical of everyone else.

But, I've been there for almost 2 years. I've done my fair share of covering shifts where no one else will. I think that I'm a pretty valued staff member, compared with some of the idiots that I work with. I must admit, after I left that note, I wrote another one on the back apologising for my bitchiness. But in reality, it was just assertiveness. Which I have every right to.

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Omgosh me too! :( I worked for the election, that was temporary, and I'm finished with David Jones. Need job badly and moneys. :(

bassistx

HSC
Wooz said:
$6.80 for like 14 year olds but 18 year olds get around $13 at Maccas, $12.60 at Pizza Hut/KFC(depends on which franchise).
I'd rather earn about 18 bucks an hour (woolies) just sliding things across that beeping thing at the checkout. Food is a hard job and you get burnt, etc... It's just not worth it. Waiters get at least 20$ p/h for God's sake.

I've made myself available for pretty much every single damn hour of the day of every day of the week. Let's see what happens.

And for some reason, I'm thinking of "The Pinky and the Brain... The Pinky and the Brain.." anybody remember that show? lol.

aja152

HSC
N/A
misbahf said:
Get a job at FRANKLINS!

Best place ever to work. Very quiet as everyone seems to go to Coles and Woollies (especially around my area) but you still get paid the same rates.

You don't constantly get called in at last minute either. Like the last time i remember being called in was because one girl hurt her shoulder and that was like 3 months ago.

I'd have to say my best job yet.

But i guess i can only speak for my Franklins.
apply online???? (cant be bothered to go and check.....)

decypher

HSC
a.Limjoco said:
yeah ive been scared to ask my boss to give me only sunday shifts cause she a bitch... but i guess i'll do it soon
Don't dictate your shifts to your manager, they won't be impressed.

lovenotwar

HSC
i work at cotton on body. got a job as a christmas casual and now im a permanant part-timer.

although i havent been working lately cause the stores been pretty dead...

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
decypher said:
Don't dictate your shifts to your manager, they won't be impressed.
pffft, skill shortage, small labour market, you can ask for whatever you want. it is a reasonable ask. while you're at it, you might want to ask for yor balls back.

extermin8tor

HSC
setmatchrun said:
Whatever you do, don't apply to BIG W.

Worst place to work ever, mind numbing, more bogans than a caravan park in penrith and a majority of the people you work with are fat assholes who are bitter they failed at life and got stuck in retail.

However, I get $16 an hour on Sundays, I work by the motto of "16 hours for a pair of ksubis".
Thats so right.. EPIC post!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)