catcher in the rye... (1 Viewer)

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
has anyone here read 'catcher in the rye'?

if so, what did you think of the book? i'd very much like to hear your reflections :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I read it last year after hearing about it for half my life...hahaha

I liked the beginning but it became abit tedious after he was going to the bars and prostitute blah blah

Picked up at the end though...:)

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
lol i know what you mean... so many people have recommended it to me...

so what's it about, anyway?

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
I read it when I was younger - and didnt realise it was satirical - ans consequently disliked it. But when i picked it up again last year, I really enjoyed it.
Originally posted by mandalay
lol i know what you mean... so many people have recommended it to me...

so what's it about, anyway?
a sensitive teenager who is going through this breakdown . . . damn i cant describe it without sounding dumb/boring. But its definitely a good book. Read it.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
also famous for being the book that mark chapman had in possession when he killed john lennon.

acmilan4eva

HSC
N/A
i resemble as holden, because i dont know wat to do wif my life, currently i am gonna drop out of uni

deluded

I love that book.
I mean it would of had a bit more truth if it was set over a longer period of time, but I still enjoy reading it.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
very good book..

its like a chain of thoughts and stuff so its so easy to read.. and being like a teenager and stuff (i assume) :p, its soo easy to relate to.. i read it a few times since i gota do it as my main text for some module or something -_-"

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ezzy85
also famous for being the book that mark chapman had in possession when he killed john lennon.
yeah didnt he kill him just to get more attention to that book

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
read it in year 10.. hated it.. but only because it was for english.. might read it again one day

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
why does Holden lie so much?

in the book, he even admitted to being a liar.

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
also...

has anyone seen the movie 'six degrees of separation' (starring will smith)? because in the movie they mention 'catcher in the rye' but other than that... how does the movie relate to this novel?

i know that intertexuality is one connection... are there any others?

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
Originally posted by soiled_poncho
You should read Salinger's other books too.
salinger wrote other books? i was told he only ever wrote one book and then he became famous.. or something.. -_-"

soiled_poncho

He wrote several short stories, but they're not as famous as Catcher in the Rye. I think that was the only one that was widely popular.

He certainly was a strange man. 0_o.

HSC
Interesting book :)

I read it a while ago and thoroughly hated it, until I reached the end (And no, not just because I'd finished it!). Then it just sort of clicked with me and I started to regret not enjoying it a lot more on the way through. I think it warrants another reading :)

I think what annoyed me to start with was the style it's written in. The informal tone doesn't really do much for me generally, so initially my only reaction to the book was thinking that the main character was a moron :)

After you get towards the end and start to understand him a little better though, you sort of realise that it wouldn't work written in a different tone, and that the way it's worded is actually one of the features which makes it such an interesting book :)

Well, that was what I found anyway, those 'you's up there probably should be 'I's instead, but oh well :)

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
can anyone please answer my question regarding 'six drgrees of separation' and 'the catcher in the rye'? lol thanks!

Anka

The references to Catcher in the Rye present in the film Six Degrees of Separation are there for many reasons. The Washington Post cynically made this statement about the films director: "...like a precocious child, expounds upon the uses of the imagination, liberal hypocrisy and even the violent subtext of "The Catcher in the Rye," which certainly goes deeper than "Beethoven's 2nd." But it's the tail that's wagging this dog. It's too clever by half, an inside joke aimed at the New York gentry. The title is meant to suggest that everyone on the planet is linked to everyone else by a chain of acquaintances no more than six people long -- a notion plausible only to a socialite living on the Upper East Side." The connotations that come with Catcher in the Rye of violence, deception and excepting ones self were too hard to resists when forming the main character (Paul) of the film Six Degrees of Separation (played by Will Smith). The irony of his brilliant analysis of Catcher in the Rye while all the time he is deceiving the wealthy couple is an inside joke for those who have read the novel. Perhaps reading a summary of the references will help explain it too: http://www.geocities.com/exploring_citr/sixdegrees.htm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)