cathodic protection (1 Viewer)

souha882002

ive got a bit of a problem with the following dotpoint- (the 'REASONS' part:

'process information to identify applications of cathodic protection .....use available evidence to idenitfy the reasons for their use.'

can someone please start me off with a reason or two for using cathodic protection for underground tanks or pipes and ship hulls.

it is probably straightforward but my brain's saturated with the other modules and the answer just wont come to me......

Thanx

serge

HSC
sue_ad said:
can someone please start me off with a reason or two for using cathodic protection for underground tanks or pipes and ship hulls.

Thanx
a reason?

Maybe you dont want your oil
pipelines and ship hulls to corrode?

EDIT- I think i get what you meant...

Cathodic protection is given its name because by making the
object you want to preserve the cathode it cant rust...

A reason for using it underground, its probably moist
and therefore could rust easily

ship hulls the same reason, sometimes the sea is moist :D

Last edited:

LostAuzzie

HSC
It could be referring to why a particular type of cathodic protection is used:

The impressed current is used on underground tanks because there is less access to them underground so A sacraficial anode needing replacing would be less practical

The Sacraficial anode is used on ships because there is easy access to the hull and can be placed along the hole and replaced when the anode is used up

Then again I could be going beyond the syllabus but, hope that helps anyway

souha882002

thanx for the replies.......i was thinking along those lines but something was telling me there should be more SPECIFIC 'reasons'. IM just a bit confused with everything.....there's sooooooooooooooo much to memorise.

THANX AGAIN!

Haku

yea just gotta give examples. for exemple applied current or impressed current are used in underground corrosion protection of pipes such is because this protection is continous and do not need to be changed, unlike sacrificial anode. the initial implementation is very expensive in comparison but its much cheaper and easier way to protect corrosion in hard to reach places.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)