Catholic Church and HIV/AIDS in Africa. (1 Viewer)

kalamari

HSC
Do you think the Catholic Church can be held responsible for the magnitude of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
The Catholic Church was created by the CIA.

kalamari

HSC
sounds like a very good essay style question, 09'er with 1 post who joined BoS this month.
Sounds like your a troll with an ego as big as your post count, go post your immature comments in some other thread.

I'm actually asking this question because I've been having an argument with another member of this forum at school and now i want to get other people's opinions. After doing some research on the topic, I for one, do not believe the Catholic Church can be held accountable for a number of reasons.

The reason why people are pointing fingers at the Catholic Church for the spread of aids in Africa lies primarily in the fact the Catholic Church teaches that birth control is a sin. On the outside this may appear to be a just and valid argument. However, there are many holes in this argument.

Firstly, if people are so willingly able to obey the church's teaching on birth control, you would expect them to follow the more important teachings about relationships and sex. One thing that is common amongst almost all christian denominations and appears on the 10 commandments is that sexual relations are to only be undertaken once married with fidelity to one partner. So how can the Catholic Church be blamed when in reality people are not following its teachings anyway. They are prepared to follow the church's rules on birth control but still commit the unfaithful act of adultery.

Furthermore, by looking at the "The White House Initiative to Combat AIDS: Learning from Uganda" we are able to see that condoms are not a key contributor to reducing the spread of aids anyway:

• High-risk sexual behaviors can be discouraged and replaced by healthier lifestyles.
  • Abstinence and marital fidelity appear to be the most important factors in preventing the spread of HIV/AIDS.
  • Condoms do not play the primary role in reducing HIV/AIDS transmission.
  • Religious organizations are crucial participants in the fight against AIDS

So, in my opinion it is not entirely valid to argue that the Catholic Church can be held accountable for the magnitude of HIV/AIDS. I do acknowledge that it may play a small part in influencing the decision making of some individuals. However, I still believe its the individual who makes the final decision and puts him/herself at greater risk by not abstaining from sex before marriage and committing sexual acts with more then one partner.

kalamari

HSC
the catholic church is responsible becoz it doesnt allow contraband, this means no condoms, i had to do an assignment on this full marks ;)
The Catholic Church also teaches that sex is to be had after marriage and sexual relations only be with one person. Also the Catholic Church teaches the most effective method of combating HIV/AIDS, abstinence. The fact that it doesn't allow contraband is hardly relevant. If people choose to follow the teachings about birth control but fail to recognize the importance of upholding the other teachings then they can not be called "faithful" Catholics.

In addition, so much emphasis is placed on condoms being the "cure" for HIV/AIDS. Using condoms does not provide 100% protection from contracting HIV/AIDS. The Catholic Church is in my view is being unfairly held responsible for the epidemic in Africa.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Do you think the Catholic Church can be held responsible for the magnitude of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa?
No. The catholic church says not to have sex outside of marriage too. I'm an internet rager that obviously has no idea how the African culture works, but if they were following all the church's teachings, there'd be less sexing and therefore less aidz, wouldn't there?

kalamari

HSC
No. The catholic church says not to have sex outside of marriage too. I'm an internet rager that obviously has no idea how the African culture works, but if they were following all the church's teachings, there'd be less sexing and therefore less aidz, wouldn't there?

Exactly what im getting at.

44Ronin

HSC
The Catholic Church also teaches that sex is to be had after marriage and sexual relations only be with one person. Also the Catholic Church teaches the most effective method of combating HIV/AIDS, abstinence. The fact that it doesn't allow contraband is hardly relevant. If people choose to follow the teachings about birth control but fail to recognize the importance of upholding the other teachings then they can not be called "faithful" Catholics.

In addition, so much emphasis is placed on condoms being the "cure" for HIV/AIDS. Using condoms does not provide 100% protection from contracting HIV/AIDS. The Catholic Church is in my view is being unfairly held responsible for the epidemic in Africa.
Condoms will save many more lives than blind theological idealism.

Besides..........god prescribes cholera to the jews.......since he cares so much for the welfare of humans..... :rolleyes:

Ezekiel 4:12 "And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight".

If that is his best solution to helping out people......he is a shit god, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

- abstinence and monogamous relationships are not foolproof, as infections can be passed between the married partners and then to their children through childbirth
- not every Christian in Africa is of the Catholic persuasion, but a lot of the "ruling class" are, and as such:
- Catholic propoganda has tainted the image of the condom in Africa with pseudo-science, discouraging its use even among non-Catholics
- latex condoms are around 85% effective in preventing transmission of HIV when compared to non-use of condoms, which is certainly better than nothing (Source: CDC)
- therefore, the Catholic church's insistence on abstinence (an unfair and unrealistic 'ideal') and resistance to barrier contraceptives has very likely contributed to the deaths of millions of Africans from HIV/AIDS over the course of the existence of the disease.

Furthermore, by looking at the "The White House Initiative to Combat AIDS: Learning from Uganda" we are able to see that condoms are not a key contributor to reducing the spread of aids anyway:

• High-risk sexual behaviors can be discouraged and replaced by healthier lifestyles.
  • Abstinence and marital fidelity appear to be the most important factors in preventing the spread of HIV/AIDS.
  • Condoms do not play the primary role in reducing HIV/AIDS transmission.
  • Religious organizations are crucial participants in the fight against AIDS

So, in my opinion it is not entirely valid to argue that the Catholic Church can be held accountable for the magnitude of HIV/AIDS. I do acknowledge that it may play a small part in influencing the decision making of some individuals. However, I still believe its the individual who makes the final decision and puts him/herself at greater risk by not abstaining from sex before marriage and committing sexual acts with more then one partner.
Studies in Thailand and other South-East Asian countries, where condom use has been heavily encouraged to reduce the spread of HIV/AIDS, would disagree with whatever pseudo-interpretation entailed in your "White House report".

kalamari

HSC
Condoms will save many more lives than blind theological idealism.

Besides..........god prescribes cholera to the jews.......since he cares so much for the welfare of humans.....

Ezekiel 4:12 "And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight".

If that is his best solution to helping out people......he is a shit god, in my opinion.

This section of Ezekiel represents the famine that took place at the time. The dung was dried and used as fuel for the oven to bake the barely cakes. If you read any further God allowed Ezekiel to use cow's dung instead of man's dung. Its an unspoken reflection of man, suggesting that a person who is filthy with his sin is more disgusting then anything else.

- abstinence and monogamous relationships are not foolproof, as infections can be passed between the married partners and then to their children through childbirth
- not every Christian in Africa is of the Catholic persuasion, but a lot of the "ruling class" are, and as such:
- Catholic propoganda has tainted the image of the condom in Africa with pseudo-science, discouraging its use even among non-Catholics
- latex condoms are around 85% effective in preventing transmission of HIV when compared to non-use of condoms, which is certainly better than nothing (Source: CDC)
- therefore, the Catholic church's insistence on abstinence (an unfair and unrealistic 'ideal') and resistance to barrier contraceptives has very likely contributed to the deaths of millions of Africans from HIV/AIDS over the course of the existence of the disease.

Studies in Thailand and other South-East Asian countries, where condom use has been heavily encouraged to reduce the spread of HIV/AIDS, would disagree with whatever pseudo-interpretation entailed in your "White House report".
I respect your opinion and views. However, If the Catholic Church's "insistence on abstinence and resistance to barrier contraceptives" did in fact contribute to the deaths of millions of Africans then why do Catholic/Christian dominated countries in Africa have a lower percentage of HIV/AIDS then Non-Catholic/Christian countries?

Your comment about the "pseudo-interpretation" in the White House Report is also unjustified because the "Catholic Propoganda" you described comes from hardly reliable media sources who just want to have a crack at the Catholic Church.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I respect your opinion and views. However, If the Catholic Church's "insistence on abstinence and resistance to barrier contraceptives" did in fact contribute to the deaths of millions of Africans then why do Catholic/Christian dominated countries in Africa have a lower percentage of HIV/AIDS then Non-Catholic/Christian countries.
Citation please. And I think you'll find that that's probably due to a correlation between "white" influence on general health services in those countries with a history of ties with "white" countries and Catholic missionaries. Regardless, straw man argument, anyone?

Your comments about the "pseudo-interpretation" in the White House Report are also unjustified because the "Catholic Propoganda" you described comes from hardly reliable media sources who just want to have a crack at the Catholic Church.
Not really, it's science.

44Ronin

HSC
I respect your opinion and views. However, If the Catholic Church's "insistence on abstinence and resistance to barrier contraceptives" did in fact contribute to the deaths of millions of Africans then why do Catholic/Christian dominated countries in Africa have a lower percentage of HIV/AIDS then Non-Catholic/Christian countries?

Your comment about the "pseudo-interpretation" in the White House Report is also unjustified because the "Catholic Propoganda" you described comes from hardly reliable media sources who just want to have a crack at the Catholic Church.

OBEY!

LordPc

HSC
lol, this is a joke right?

your friend is an idiot. and we all know that you should "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

kalamari

HSC
Not really, it's science.
Sorry im just not getting how media spin classified as science?

Some of those statistics:

"2003 statistics from the World Factbook of the US Central Intelligence Agency, shows Burundi at 62% Catholic with 6% AIDS infection rate. Angola's population is 38% Roman Catholic and has 3.9% AIDS rate. Ghana is 63% Christian, with in some regions as much as 33% Catholic and has 3.1% AIDS rate. Nigeria, divided almost evenly between the strongly Muslim north and Christian and "animist" south, has 5.4% AIDS rate.

Strongly Christian Uganda continues to frustrate condom-pushing NGO's by maintaining its abstinence and fidelity AIDS prevention programs and one of the lowest rates of AIDS in Africa, at 4.1%. Uganda's population is listed by the CIA Factbook as 33% Roman Catholic and 33% Protestant.

Of African countries with low Catholic populations, Botswana is typical with 37.3% AIDS, one of the highest in Africa, and 5% of the total population Catholic. In 2003, Swaziland was shown to have a 38.8% AIDS infection rate and only 20% Catholic population. "

lol, this is a joke right?

your friend is an idiot. and we all know that you should "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Its hard to believe but there is people out there that accuse the Catholic Church of genocide in Africa.

Last edited:
E

Empyrean444

Its hard to believe but there is people out there that accuse the Catholic Church of genocide in Africa.
Whole responsibility? No. Partial/shared responsibility (but not 'genocide')? Certainly. There is no problem in itself of encouraging limitations upon sexual conduct outside of marital chains within Africa. There is a grave problem in indicting condoms and claiming that they 'don't work'. Of course they are not a totality of a solution; but I do not think their supporters have ever labelled 'em thus. To suggest that encouraging the use of condoms is a falsity or indeed exacerbates the aids problem is bullshit. Nothing more. The action (apart from flying in the face of strong scientific evidence and common sense) is in fact unethical, as it encourages people to put themselves in situations of far greater risk. This is because, as people have continually spoken, intra-marital sex only is not a total solution; and asking people to follow this ideal is unrealistic. It doesn't work. People will satisfy themselves no matter what some man in a stupid hat tells them (look at the high occurence of teen pregnancy in US south, where no-contraception and sex w/in marriage only is idolised). Actually attacking the use of condoms in itself will cause great damage.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC

This.

I was going to write something extensive and convincing on this topic, but after reading this, I realised that anything I wrote would seem like a less-articulate regurgitation of this.

All of what Kwayera said, word for word, is what I believe. The Catholic church could be held accountable for the magnitude of AID in Africa.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

"2003 statistics from the World Factbook of the US Central Intelligence Agency, shows Burundi at 62% Catholic with 6% AIDS infection rate. Angola's population is 38% Roman Catholic and has 3.9% AIDS rate. Ghana is 63% Christian, with in some regions as much as 33% Catholic and has 3.1% AIDS rate. Nigeria, divided almost evenly between the strongly Muslim north and Christian and "animist" south, has 5.4% AIDS rate.

Strongly Christian Uganda continues to frustrate condom-pushing NGO's by maintaining its abstinence and fidelity AIDS prevention programs and one of the lowest rates of AIDS in Africa, at 4.1%. Uganda's population is listed by the CIA Factbook as 33% Roman Catholic and 33% Protestant.

Of African countries with low Catholic populations, Botswana is typical with 37.3% AIDS, one of the highest in Africa, and 5% of the total population Catholic. In 2003, Swaziland was shown to have a 38.8% AIDS infection rate and only 20% Catholic population. "
Source?

And hmm, yes, those don't sound biased at all! :rolleyes:

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck..

E

Empyrean444

Discussion/examination of other possible active factors? That's just prima facie, it doesn't prove anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)