cato the younger (1 Viewer)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
well, consdiering that we did this for our historical time period then really the amswer should be yes...unfortunately is definately no! damn, do we need to know about him? or is this more of an individual type thing?

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
from what i know Cato the Younger was the staunchest opponent of Caesar, in particular the enemy of any person who wanted to modify the Mos Maiorum
politically it was Cato who along with the other conservatives blocked most of the proposals that the popularis proposed - might have lead to the establishment of the triumvirate.
during the civil war, it was Cato who lead the defense of the city of Uttica from Caesar's assult.

homestar

apparently we need to know everyone. at least that is what my teacher tells us. he is making us write essays on everybody. do you have any more info i could use?
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what is left.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
launcher169 said:
from what i know Cato the Younger was the staunchest opponent of Caesar, in particular the enemy of any person who wanted to modify the Mos Maiorum
politically it was Cato who along with the other conservatives blocked most of the proposals that the popularis proposed - might have lead to the establishment of the triumvirate.
during the civil war, it was Cato who lead the defense of the city of Uttica from Caesar's assult.
aha! now i remember who he is! OMG, i feel like such an idiot now. oh well, i'll get over it i guess (and probably a lot quicker than i should!!!:D)
well, since he was against challenging the unwritten constsitution, im gunna hazard an educated guess and say that he and Cicero probably didnt get on too well then either!

homestar

homestar says:

hey that was really helpfull, by the ways do you guys know the rise and impacts of the powerfull generals (caesar, pompey and crassus) in the period 78 - 28 BC? it's another essay that i have to write.

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
The rise of the powerful generals can be attributed to many things
Firstly, there was a link between the soldier and his general
this was established under Marius as the soldiers could now come from
the common mob.
Now all the powerful generals now had to provide the soldiers with land and pay
so they had to become politically active. This also made all the soldiers your clients
with which you could/would use to gain exceptional political powers.
The legacy of the Marian/Sullan conflict is also an important factor to consider
both Marius and Sulla marched on Rome to achieve their political purposes
and, the power now laid in the hands on the army. - they were the ones
who marched on Rome.

Pompey, Caesar, and Crassus were involved in this conflict - it has been running since they were children - became the norm to rise to prominence

Pompey rose to power during the Sullan era, and after sulla resigned from the dictatorship he became the next "First Man in Rome"
Crassus was considered to be the richest man in Rome and this is where his support base was - he had strong links with the merchants.
Caesar rose to prominence largely of his own accord - his oratorical and militaritic talents and his arrogance and willingness to change the Roman constitution.

The Impacts that all these generals had was that they all existed at the same time - all wanting to be the most powerful man in Rome. They faces staunched opposition from the Senate - in particular the Optimates. As i mentioned before these ambitious generals came together in the so called first triumvirate to achieve their ends. - the first triumvirate was only temporary well in pompey's view. Caesar used it to gain time for his campaigns in Gaul.

I hope this has been help. The funny thing is that i do Augustus and the Julio-Claudians not the fall of the Republic - but i have read and done so much stuff on this period that i could do it in the exam!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
launcher - quality stuff.
to add:
- the introduction of the Lex Agaria meant that generals had ot take care of their soldiers - they provided them with allotments, food, clothes, money etc. This created armies who were dependent on their generals - thus their allegiance lay with the generals rather than with the republic. Also, soldiers had the ability to rise within the ranks and become powerful, the army was a career.
-Smith: "The army was given an unprecendented position of power in the political life of Rome"
-Generals heavily influenced by politics through the comitia centuriata - influenced their soldiers votes.
-Generals used the threat of force over the people in power - eg. Pompey demanded a triumph from Sulla; Caesar, Crassus and Pompey all at one time or another refused to disband their troops until the Senate gave them what they wanted.
-People were able to control their own private armies that worked for them and not the republic (ie. the illegal armies of Pompey and Octavian)

homestar

hey that was really useful, thanks a bunch, so do you guys know anything on the significance of prominent women in rome during 78 - 28 BC ? i think you have to include women such as servilla, fulvia, octavia and julia.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
i dont think id go so far as to say that her death broke the first triumvirate and caused the civil war...there were too many other factors involved to say that. certainly, though, her death severed an important connection between pompey and caesar, which made it easier for them to go to war against each other.
geez, have they ever asked a question on women? i dont thinki know enough about them to write an essay. ok, lets see..
octavia: obviously, key figure in political manouevres of the 2nd triumvirate. used by Octavian to further his own political ambitions - not just in creatng bonds between triumvirs by marrying antony but how he used her marriage breakup with antony in his own political propaganda.
Fulvia: know she was very vocal against Cicero and was one of the people who insisted that he be proscribed when the 2nd triumvirate was formed (although, antony would have done it anyway as revenge for the philippics, so this may be a moot point). people often say that, after Cicero's death, when his head and hands were nailed to the speakers podium that Fulvia drove golden hairpins through his tongue in revenge for what his speeches had done to Antony, but sources are conflicting on whether this is true or not.
Servilia: gadzooks, i dont know anything about servilia...except...except. nah, i got nothing. i dont think she really played all that big a part in the grand scheme of things. could (and most likely are) be wrong though. :p
hope that helped at all.

homestar

a quick message to all those out there, you have to remember that when you right these practice essays, you have to include the appropriate quotes, make sure you use quotes or you will be marked down seriously bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)