cats in the cradle (1 Viewer)

survivor

hey did anyone do this song by cat stevens
if so can they post wot they wrote or explain it to me??

tranquil

INTP 5w4 sp/so/sx.
HSC
No sorry I didn't, but you might like to know that the song is not by Cat Stevens but rather Harry Chapin. =)

Leanne

HSC
survivor, i dont have any notes on that poem- but i was thinking of doing it myself for the HSC.... do u have any notes at all?
I'd go through my other change texts and find which aspects of the poem relate to it...then find techniques which show this....

TastesGoodBut

Leanne its not a poem its a song by Harry Chapin, although a band called Ugly Kid Joe did another version... which in my opinion is better balanced but then again modern mixing techniques would have seen Harry Chapins much similar...

I've had discussions with people about which version is better... and personally for me it came down to the fact that harry chapin actually wrote the song. Its the same with beatles covers and things - i quite like many of them but the fact is the beatles wrote the songs...

**EDIT** - also i recommend not using the song because it is done to death by a hell of alot of ppl - and its a bit simplistic

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
CAT STEVENS did a song called CATS IN THE CRADLE..maybe not the original, i don't know, but my dad has the cd, cats in the cradle is on there.

Last edited:

s2ophie

HSC
Harry Chapin's wife Lind Chapin wrote the song as a poem and harry changed it to a song and recorded it. it did it for my AOS portfolio but i don't think i'll use it in the HSC. Its overused by teachers and stdents alike.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yah...remember, the markers are going to be sitting down and marking a few hundred papers a night...you need extra material that is different, that will make them sit up and say 'wow', stuff that wont bore them. instantly they will be thinking more of yuor writing, even if what you say is a peice of shit, they are likely to be kinder on you.
also, if you use newspaper/magazine articles, it is ok to make them up! just dont put itfrom a few days before, backdate it to like feb/march or so.

ripbong11

i used cats in the cradle as a related material for changing perspective.

basically i said that :
the father comes to the realisation that his son has no time for him now that he is grown up. this is ironic because when the son was little the father had no time for him

i went along the line that a change in maturity through age alters a change in one's perspective.

this is true in cats in the craddle as both the father and son see things differently now that they are older and their lifestyles are different to eachother and also different form their past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)