Cawelti's 6 main phases (1 Viewer)

MartaJ

HSC
Can somebody PLEASE tell me/help me find/explain to me Cawelti's 6 main phases of the Detective genre?!

I'm supposed to use them for my crime fiction reading log, but my Extension teacher's only given me the last 3 -- a little counter-productive :mad1: .

Thanks in advance,
MJ

Porcia

HSC
MartaJ said:
Can somebody PLEASE tell me/help me find/explain to me Cawelti's 6 main phases of the Detective genre?!

I'm supposed to use them for my crime fiction reading log, but my Extension teacher's only given me the last 3 -- a little counter-productive :mad1: .

Thanks in advance,
MJ
as someone who got a state ranking in ext english - i cannot stress how important it is, especially when you're doing genre, to use genre theory and analysis. dont ask members here, go to the source of the question and research. books.google.com helps. critical theory will only get you so far - you need to formulate your own ideas based on the soundest understanding of genre theory - and thats all you need to do. show them your knowledge of genre theory not by "cawelti proposed 6 stages of the .." but instead applying and practicing these theoretical ideas a la "the 'mythic' and 'exotic', pioneered by Cawelti, in the big sleep becomes a in the study of the Other, at once criminal and ...". Basically, you need to grasp underlying ideas.

Porcia

HSC
btw some starter points:

http://books.google.com/books?vid=I...ages&sig=4EAFNM_jbLPFviRBW0yRzapSgB8#PPA23,M1

http://books.google.com/books?vid=I...awelti+stages&sig=4ZvUAeMNnK9pIAeIL5kqoSq7MZ4

the urls look horrible but trust me they're not.

as a further btw, i seldom quoted from genre theorists, but rather expended my memory capacity on quotes from actual C.F (or whatever) texts. the main emphasis im trying to make here is use genre theory as articulators to deepen, broaden and delateralise your critical thinking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)