CD drive not working. help? (1 Viewer)

HSC
ok, here are the system specs of my (arcane) computer:

HD: 4 GB
CPU: ~ 333 MHz
CD-ROM: x4 speed read, N/A write
RAM: 38MB

i know, its a shitty, old machine, but i still wanna try and get it working.

ok the CD drive used to work perfectly fine, as in read any old CD you stick in. now recently (maybe a few months now) it's just stopped reading CDs altogether. instead i get the error message (see attachment). it happens whether i do or do not have a cd in the drive.

now whats the problem there? my inexperienced guess suggests that the computer has been moved around a fair bit, and the CD drive has just been disconnected from the motherboard from all the bumping around?

any help would be great. thanks

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
if it has been disconnected then the drive wont even show up.

maybe u had a program thats accessing the drive and basically hogging the drive :s

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
king_of_boredom said:
ok, here are the system specs of my (arcane) computer:

HD: 4 GB
CPU: ~ 333 MHz
CD-ROM: x4 speed read, N/A write
RAM: 38MB
TIME TO UPGRADE YOUR COMPUTER!!!

HSC
LOLipop.

i know it's old, but that's not the point.

anybody know how to fix the problem?

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
king_of_boredom said:
anybody know how to fix the problem?
No Im serious, upgrade the computer. Im sure most of the stuff you stick in it is not compatible with '98

and read this, I know its for XP but its the best I can do. Theres NOTHING for '98, its not hard to buy a disc and upgrade

Last edited:

chinkiwinki

HSC
Replace your CD drive and see if the problem still occurs. I agree with the others, its time to upgrade, for all we know the CD drive is probably dead.....
CD/DVD drives are cheap...It shouldn't be more then $50.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Try putting the CD in a few times (and maybe cleaning it too). I found my old DVD-ROM drive used to have this problem as well under Windows 98/ME. It reads all DVDs and CDs first go now under Windows XP/Vista on my backup computer, so maybe it was an OS problem.

Other than that, just get a new CD drive. Even if you don't want to spend $50 on a DVD-RW, you can still pick up a CD-RW, DVD-ROM drive or even a CD-ROM drive for around $25 or so.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The cost of a CD drive would probably be more than your whole computer's worth :/

HSC
oh k, so, i assume the CD drive i have is too old and has had too much wear and tear over time.

thanks for all your help, don't know if i can be bothered to go get a new CD drive. i just thought i could fix it without spending anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)