cfa + m/a (1 Viewer)

3li

HSC
N/A
im just curious to know how many of u as grad analysts in m/a are doing cfa concurrently

a couple of boutiques were trying to persuade me away from the bigger banks saying that at a bigger bank u wont have adequate time to do ur cfa whil working.

is this a valid statement?

edit - ii know quite a few go to do mba then come back as associates

but im seeking altenratives

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
3li said:
im just curious to know how many of u as grad analysts in m/a are doing cfa concurrently

a couple of boutiques were trying to persuade me away from the bigger banks saying that at a bigger bank u wont have adequate time to do ur cfa whil working.

You know you could have just pmed Newbie or Geetarjoe.

Congratulations on the fact that banks are fighting over you in a down market. :rolleyes:

What is with your threads that are jumping the gun so much? Salaries - when you didnt even have the offer, then this?

Rorix

HSC
I agree, these posts are getting ridiculous (and the quality of English in them isn't getting any better).

3li, stop posting questions until you have actually received more than 1 offer and need to decide between the two. I could answer it anyway, but fuck it, I'm making a stand.

HSC
Rorix said:
I agree, these posts are getting ridiculous (and the quality of English in them isn't getting any better).

3li, stop posting questions until you have actually received more than 1 offer and need to decide between the two. I could answer it anyway, but fuck it, I'm making a stand.
+1, the old saying never count your chickens before they are hatched. firm believer of never rejoicing over a "done deal related to a job interview you think you smashed" until the deal is finalised. but in 3li's case looks like all these posts are gloat posts showing how awesome he/she must be

3li

HSC
N/A
wow all this anger
okay

pretend i didnt want to know the question out of my own situation lets just say its for a frend or something.

i dont think i have to justify myself asking the question but wateva. just wanted an honest answer.

does anyone actually know and can u please pm me - then i will explain my situation and why thsi concners me.

Last edited:

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
3li said:

I know of only one or two M&A grads studying for their CFA, and I'm not even sure they're still doing it. Its not a focus at all at work.

Heard stories of people starting it, then dropping out because the workload is unmanageable - but thats only anecdotal.

A few people have tried to study toward a CA, but the biggest problem is managing the exam times. If you miss an exam, theres no option but to wait for the unit to repeat the next year. There's a reasonable chance you'll be in a bid room, travelling or just too busy and won't be able to sit the exam. Makes it hard to finish when you're hitting 3, 6, or 12 month dealys all over the place.

In all honesty, if you're a grad in M&A at an investment bank, post-grad study while working is almost impossible.

3li

HSC
N/A
cheers. very insightful.

what sort of hours are you doing atm and are you a grad?

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
3li said:
cheers. very insightful.

what sort of hours are you doing atm and are you a grad?
Hours vary depending if you're on a live deal. Quiet week would be 60 hours. Busy week - I've had a few 110 hour weeks, but these only happen when you're on a deal.

Usually work a few hours on either Saturday or Sunday.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
geetarjoe said:
Hours vary depending if you're on a live deal. Quiet week would be 60 hours. Busy week - I've had a few 110 hour weeks, but these only happen when you're on a deal.

Usually work a few hours on either Saturday or Sunday.
mate thats pretty insane when you think about it...hope its rewarding enough (financially and with the actual work you do).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)