CH3COONa or NaCH3COO? (1 Viewer)

hs17

HSC
Which one's more correct? My teacher writes the 2nd way but I thought the 1st way is more correct...?

Qeru

HSC
Which one's more correct? My teacher writes the 2nd way but I thought the 1st way is more correct...?
Both are fine, in the context of organic chemistry the first way makes sense, in the context of acid/base second way makes sense but overall both are perfectly fine. (atleast for HSC, CM_tutor might have some uni level explanation as to why one is better lol).

hs17

HSC
Okay, tysm. I'm doing acid-base rn so i'll stick to the 2nd one

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Since the IUPAC molecular formula C2H3NaO2 is seldom used, I agree with Qeru’s suggestion of using whichever alternative highlights its role.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
  • These are not molecular formulae, they are condensed structural formulae.
  • US textbooks have a habit of using molecular formulae, like C2H4O2 for acetic acid and C2H3O2- for the acetate ion, leading to writing sodium acetate as NaC2H3O2 if writing a cation-anion formula (like NaCl) or C2H3NaO2 as a molecular formula (C then H then other elements in alphabetical order by symbol).
  • US books sometimes emphasises the acidity by presenting acetic acid as HC2H3O2 and thus sodium acetate as NaC2H3O2.
  • Condensed structural formula are chosen to reflect the sequence of bonding, hence acetic acid as CH3COOH. In the salt form, the cation is associated with the negative charge of the carboxylate group of the acetate ion and not with the methyl group, hence the formula CH3COONa being more appropriate than NaCH3COO.
  • My preference for CH3CO2Na is because the two O atoms are distinctly different in the acid form, one with a double bond to the carboxylate C atom, the other with a C to O single bond and an O to H single bond. This is sometimes written as CH3-C(=O)-OH. In the acetate anion, the two O atoms are equivalent and identical. The C atom has a single bond to each O atom with the negative charge distributed over both oxygen atoms, which share a three-centre-2-electron bond. We often write it as having C=O and C-O- bonds but this is not an accurate representation, using -CO2- is a more accurate representation.
  • Having said all of this, absent some specific in the way the question is structured, I can't see why either representation should be unacceptable.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
To be clear, I was never suggesting that the original options presented in this thread were molecular formulae.
I’m merely commenting that IUPAC confines its definitions to the molecular compound so that every molecule could have a unique standardised name. Everything else is based on the context of usage which you have explained in detail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)