Champions League (1 Viewer)

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
The other thread was getting kind of all over the place, so lets place all our views on the Champs League in here.
It's starting up again very soon, can't wait, especially since I have a bit of money riding on it. So far it's been a really good tournament, as it hasn't been as predictable as the ones of recnt years. I mean the fav at the start of the tournament were Real, Bayern and Arsenal, now Bayern is gone, Real is bottom of thier group and Arsenal have had some bad losses, albeit both Arsnel and Real will bounce back. So what do you guys think? Is Italy going to yet again dominate like they did in the early nineties, or are Ajax going to win it again? Or is Real's dominance still in progress?

The next games are on the 18-19 Feb

A Barcelona Internazionale 20:45
A Leverkusen Newcastle 20:45
B Arsenal Ajax 20:45
B Roma Valencia 20:45

C Madrid Dortmund 20:45
C Milan Lokomotiv 20:45
D Basel Deportivo 20:45
D Man. United Juventus 20:45

Go the Gunners!

bobo123

HSC
think the match to watch is juve vs man utd

damn i only have sbs -_- :p

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Arsenal all the WAY!

They are gonna GUNN! down any and all opposition!

Ac

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
AC Milan could be a surprise, they have a great team this year
I want the Gunners to at least get to the final, but I fear an Italy vs Spain final

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
not me, but im a west ham supporter. been supporting them for years but this year they have just played like shit. so much talent and potential but no results.

professor

i'm a devil's fan!!
getting to the Champs.League, Real should do well according to the tradition with the Italian super powers(AC, Inter and Juventus) can reaching the semi-finals. However, the probability of Italians winning the cup is very very rare as Inter show that they cannot live up to the expectation in the last minute (last round lost to Lazio last season), AC showing signs of weakness in the league while for Juventus, the lost of Del Peiro can be a crucial factor.
Arsenal must improve their away form in Europe if they want to do well in it while Manchester need to be consistent if they are to reach a show down in Old Trafford this season.
Barcelona will be focusing on this cup as they are close to be regelated in the Spanish league, prize money is crucial to them as to whether they will follow Leed's footstep in the future.

Go the Red Devils

Generator

HSC
N/A
Barcelona are too big to end up like Leeds. They'll get their debts covered so that they can keep on playing while buying the top players (Real Madrid are covered by the Spanish King, so the precedent in Spain has been set).

Following the current topic... I follow Spurs, and I don't know why. I think that it was after seeing Anderton and Campbell in the 98 World Cup.

Last edited:

professor

nah, Barcelona has a big big chance ending like Leeds....think bout it, Leeds was big when they were reaching semi-finals of Champions League and were buying 'big' players with huge wage...then, all of a sudden, they didn't make it to the Champions League(coz winning a match in CL gets u like heaps of prize-money)...they are now suffering pretty bad financially...Barcelona is in the same boat in terms of the wage...dun think that a big club can afford to miss out Champions League...coz the wage demand of players can be devastating...Barcelona can't even afford to compensate the sacking of Lousi Van Gaal which some ppl estimated to be around 1 million pound...

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Gunners for the treble 2002-03

Good to see some Gunner supporters in Minai and Lord Ac.
Back to the topic though, Ithink that the final wont have a Spanish side in it (something that hasnt happened since 99 when Man u beat Bayern, correct me if I'm worng), and that it will be England v Italy. I would absolutely love it to be Juve v Arsenal, but I think the Milans have a better chance, although it also depends on the draw as always.....

professor

mm...too early too wipe out Real and Barcelona...but it probably happen from the way things are going now...Barcelona are unbeatable in CL but at their own league, they are vulnerable...Real is a tough call..though they are not doing well in their group phase, the likes of Zidane, Carlos, Figo, Raul can not be ignored...
Arsenal chance of winning the Champions League is slim and i'm not biased here...to win the Champions League, away form is a crucial factor and though Arsenal did that for a period of time by belting Arsenal and Dortmund, deep inside their camp, they still 'fear' losing away...they will be a big force of Champions League if they can improve the consistency of their away form and they need to do that with Bergkampt

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
You've got quite a few good points professor. In regard to the Spanish giants, I just think that Barcelona wont be able to maintain their current undefeated form, it's bound to come to an end, and what an end it will be. Although I like Barca, I have a n inkling that they will lose like 2-3 in a row and go out of the comp. And Real, well what can I say........if you've got sooo many stars and you can't beat unheard of teams, then there are problems. For this reason I don't think they deserve to win it, and also the years that they did win it, they never had such dosgy perfomances (you also have to remember that they are currently last in their group with 1 point from 2 games).
And finally Arsenal, you are totally right about the away games. But The beauty about this season is that they have finnaly got some away wins, thus far 3 this CL season, and with the experience and knowledge of Wenger I think he will be able to get them to keep winning away or at least getting some draws.
But as I've said before whatever happens, the CL this season has so far been quite interesting and if it continues in the same manner, it will be mad, obviously even better if Arsenal can pull it of though :)

professor

mm...i wouldn't take out the chance of Real coz look at Newcastle...they were in the same boat b4 and with determination and the experience of Shearer and co, they manage to perform many called 'miracle'..
i agree with Barcelona, they wouldn't able to perform that standard in the CL now, their defence is the biggest problem. Everytime i watched their back-line, its like high school football, tackling the player when he is like 10m away from u...
the teams with big chance of winning this season's CL are Man Utd, Arsenal, Inter and Real...
Inter is probably a semi-final team but with Cuper and a strong team, its possible

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ummm, no...
Leeds are run as a business, Barcelona as a football club, and one of the biggest in spain (which is something that leeds can't say for Britain). Barcelona will not end up like Leeds as it's a very different situation.

'Real, well what can I say........if you've got sooo many stars and you can't beat unheard of teams, then there are problems.'
Yes. It's called having a team of star players rather than a star team.

Last edited:
Originally posted by marsenal
The other thread was getting kind of all over the place, so lets place all our views on the Champs League in here.
It's starting up again very soon, can't wait, especially since I have a bit of money riding on it. So far it's been a really good tournament, as it hasn't been as predictable as the ones of recnt years. I mean the fav at the start of the tournament were Real, Bayern and Arsenal, now Bayern is gone, Real is bottom of thier group and Arsenal have had some bad losses, albeit both Arsnel and Real will bounce back. So what do you guys think? Is Italy going to yet again dominate like they did in the early nineties, or are Ajax going to win it again? Or is Real's dominance still in progress?

The next games are on the 18-19 Feb

A Barcelona Internazionale 20:45
A Leverkusen Newcastle 20:45
B Arsenal Ajax 20:45
B Roma Valencia 20:45

C Madrid Dortmund 20:45
C Milan Lokomotiv 20:45
D Basel Deportivo 20:45
D Man. United Juventus 20:45

Go the Gunners!
go real madrid!

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
c'mon Gunners

Not long to go now till the Tuesday games.......I really hope Arsenal wins........Go you good thing.....

kini mini

HSC
Re: c'mon Gunners

Originally posted by marsenal
Not long to go now till the Tuesday games.......I really hope Arsenal wins........Go you good thing.....
1-1 with Ajax I believe.

Watched Man U v Juve this morning on ESPN, it was a decent game. Pity Juve was crippled by illness.

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
guners for the treble

Yeah unfortunately we only drew. This group B has turned into the tightest group out of them all with Ajax, Arsenal and Valencia all on 5 points. Roma's disspointing season continues, but I guess they're still going to get quite a bit of $$$ to help them out for making this far.
And what about Barcelona, they continue their unbeaten streak. Maybe they will win it Beating Inter so comfortably that was a bit of a shock.
And Man U managed to overcome the debacle against the Gunners to beat an understrength Juventus. How funny was the Fergusson/Beckahm incident. It just shows the stupidity/arrogance/more stupidity/dodginess/did I mention stupidity of Man United (as you can see I don't particularly like united, although I don't wish to put them down too much).
Oh yeah Real finally won one. They were definately due!

professor

yes! 3-0 Man Utd...Giggs u animal, love the man, damn to hell to those who blame him for his bad form!!!!!

P.S. Watch out for Real/Barcelona, they are back!

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
c'mon Gunners

Bummer another draw, but at least Roma finally got a win and they might even still go through. This is such a weird and close group. Having said that, however, this can only be good for the game, since no one is really dominating and a LOT of teams have a REALISTIC chance of winning the prestigious trophy. But I still reckon Arsenal can pull thorugh.
BY the way is the final going to be in Manchester? I can't remember.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)