Chance at 98+? (1 Viewer)

scoobertdoobert

HSC
I was wondering if anyone here could give me an indication of my chances at a 98 and any advice on areas to focus on.

My school usually ranks in the low 30s but was in the 60s last year (yikes!), last year 2 students had an atar above 99

Adv English: 11/57
Adv Maths: 1/34
E1 Maths: 5/13
Chemistry: 2/7
Geography: 1/22
Physics: 1/5
Ex Science: 1/3

Trials are approaching and I would appreciate input on where to focus my attention!
Thank you :))

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I believe that the subject which has the highest chance of affecting your ATAR and which you should be focusing on as you approach your trial exams is English Advanced. You are currently ranked first in 4 of your subjects and this is a very good thing. However, you need to remember that English will count towards your ATAR no matter what, meaning you should focus on English as part of your preparations for your trial exams.

Another area of improvement/focus is Mathematics Extension 1, as your rank in this subject is currently the lowest compared to your other subjects. Of course, because your current ranks across your other subjects are favourable, and assuming you maintain the exact same performance in your trial exams and HSC exams, your units could count towards your ATAR as follows:
  • English Advanced - 2 units
  • Mathematics Advanced - 2 units
  • Chemistry - 1 unit
  • Geography - 2 units
  • Physics - 2 units
  • Science Extension - 1 unit
This gives a total of 10 units. However, trying to improve your rank in Mathematics Extension 1 would still be a good idea, even if it were not to count towards your ATAR, as we never know what can happen (i.e. just to be safe).

Regarding your other subjects, you should definitely study hard for them like you have been throughout the year, allowing you to perform well in your trial exams across all your subjects and maintain your current ranks as your final ranks and hopefully receive an improved final rank in English Advanced and Mathematics Extension 1, which puts you in a highly favourable position as you approach your HSC exams.

I hope this helps! 😄

scoobertdoobert

HSC
Why didn’t u do IB it’s easier to get high high marks there
I mean I considered it but I was close to failing year 10 German (so thought maybe languages wasn't my forte), would rather be able to do more sciences, and people I knew who did IB said it took over your life, and bc I do high level sport I didn't want to spend 'excessive' time on my studies.

But that ATAR conversion is so nice....

scoobertdoobert

HSC
Hey, I believe that the subject which has the highest chance of affecting your ATAR and which you should be focusing on as you approach your trial exams is English Advanced. You are currently ranked first in 4 of your subjects and this is a very good thing. However, you need to remember that English will count towards your ATAR no matter what, meaning you should focus on English as part of your preparations for your trial exams.

Another area of improvement/focus is Mathematics Extension 1, as your rank in this subject is currently the lowest compared to your other subjects. Of course, because your current ranks across your other subjects are favourable, and assuming you maintain the exact same performance in your trial exams and HSC exams, your units could count towards your ATAR as follows:
  • English Advanced - 2 units
  • Mathematics Advanced - 2 units
  • Chemistry - 1 unit
  • Geography - 2 units
  • Physics - 2 units
  • Science Extension - 1 unit
This gives a total of 10 units. However, trying to improve your rank in Mathematics Extension 1 would still be a good idea, even if it were not to count towards your ATAR, as we never know what can happen (i.e. just to be safe).

Regarding your other subjects, you should definitely study hard for them like you have been throughout the year, allowing you to perform well in your trial exams across all your subjects and maintain your current ranks as your final ranks and hopefully receive an improved final rank in English Advanced and Mathematics Extension 1, which puts you in a highly favourable position as you approach your HSC exams.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thanks you! very helpful :D

now to do more practice essays :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)