Chances of getting in with an ATAR 0.45 below last year's cut off? (1 Viewer)

Divinity_

HSC
So more specifically, I'm hoping to get into Psychology@UNSW which had a cut off of 96.30 ATAR in 2008. I got 95.85 ATAR (burn). You can't receive flexi/bonus points for Psychology, but I have some EAS points under my belt.

Say the cut-off remains the same or increases by a little bit, what are the chances that I'll get a first round, or if not, late round offer?

I know that some of the cut-offs that the universities release are inflated, and that they're quite lenient with offers, but I wasn't sure if this just applied to less popular courses or more competitive ones like Psychology as well. Can anyone share their wisdom?

Also, if anyone got into Psychology@UNSW with a lower-than-cut-off ATAR/UAI please comment! I need some assurance haha

Thank you so much <3

P.S. I am using my friend's acc

LordPc

HSC
dunno if unsw psych has an inflated atar cause its a popular course

but i can offer this information. do put BScience @ unsw down as your 2nd preference if you really want to study psych at unsw. the only difference between BPsych and BScience (majoring in psych) is that with BPsych you are guaranteed honours. so if you do BScience + honours, the difference between you and someone doing a BPsych is nil.

HSC
the only difference between BPsych and BScience (majoring in psych) is that with BPsych you are guaranteed honours. so if you do BScience + honours, the difference between you and someone doing a BPsych is nil.
There are many more differences than this, but I suppose in the long run this is the one which matters most.

Regardless, to the OP: you should order your preferences based on what you want to do, not on the probability that you think you'll get an offer.

Divinity_

HSC
do put BScience @ unsw down as your 2nd preference if you really want to study psych at unsw.
Can you major in Psychology with an Advanced Science degree? No neg reps for sounding noob please haha

Pyrokinetic

HSC
dunno if unsw psych has an inflated atar cause its a popular course

but i can offer this information. do put BScience @ unsw down as your 2nd preference if you really want to study psych at unsw. the only difference between BPsych and BScience (majoring in psych) is that with BPsych you are guaranteed honours. so if you do BScience + honours, the difference between you and someone doing a BPsych is nil.
You're not guarenteed honours if you do B Psych. Entry into Psych Honours is merit based and you'll need Distinction average if my memory serves me correctly. I attended the Open Day and the lecturer specifically put emphasis on that point! This information is also on their website.

And yeah you can do Psych through Advanced Science as well :)

LordPc

HSC
There are many more differences than this, but I suppose in the long run this is the one which matters most.
they both come out with the same degree, ane other differences are minor in comparison

Regardless, to the OP: you should order your preferences based on what you want to do, not on the probability that you think you'll get an offer.
omg, i thought i was the only one who knew this.

if only they was a way to tell the 09ers this and have them actually listen...

You're not guarenteed honours if you do B Psych. Entry into Psych Honours is merit based and you'll need Distinction average if my memory serves me correctly. I attended the Open Day and the lecturer specifically put emphasis on that point! This information is also on their website.
are you 100% sure? BPsych is a 4 year degree, which includes honours. thats kind of what separates it from BScience. you might need to maintain certain marks (like in adv science, where if you dont do well enough, you drop to just science) but as long as you are in BPsych, you have got an honours year

maybe you are talking about BScience, where you need a certain WAM (usually credit average) to gain entry in honours?

deadfishlol

HSC
N/A
B. Science requires you to pick a second major or a minor along with your psych major. This means you'll most likely end up doing fewer psych subjects than B. Adv Sci or B. Psych students by 3rd year.

B. Adv Sci only requires you to pick one major. B. Adv Sci (Psych) is almost a carbon copy of B. Psych.

At the end of the day though, there is NO difference between B.Sc(Hons), B.AdvSci(Hons) and B.Psych in admission to a postgraduate psych degree, which is the traditional route to become a registered psychologist.

Good luck!

are you 100% sure? BPsych is a 4 year degree, which includes honours. thats kind of what separates it from BScience. you might need to maintain certain marks (like in adv science, where if you dont do well enough, you drop to just science) but as long as you are in BPsych, you have got an honours year

maybe you are talking about BScience, where you need a certain WAM (usually credit average) to gain entry in honours?
From the handbook:

Academic Standing

Progression through the Stages if the Bachelor of Psychology program is subject to academic performance. Students are required to achieve an average
of 70 percent or higher in Psychology courses taken in any Stage (based on the first attempt result for each course). Students not maintaining this level of performance in Stages I and II will be counselled. Students who fail to achieve an average of 70 percent or higher in all Psychology courses taken in Stages I, II and III will not be allowed to progress to Stage IV. Instead they will normally be required to transfer to the Bachelor of Science (3970) program and take out the Bachelor of Science with a major in Psychology at a Pass level.

TL;DR: you get 'demoted' to a B.Sc program if you cannot maintain a PSYCXXXX WAM above 70, which is similar to what is required to get into a honours program anyway :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)