Chances of getting into USYD law? (1 Viewer)

Ademir

HSC
Hey guys, just need a little advice :p

USYD law is gonna be my first choice when I apply for uni, but obviously the UAI cut-off is astronomical and I'm not expecting to get in.

The UAI calculator is fine, but I'd like some opinions from people who have gotten into this course, and what kinda marks/rankings they got in the HSC in order to achieve this? Did anyone do it without any extension subjects?

thanks!!

Rorix

HSC
not many people in usyd law actually got 99.6+ (or whatever it is now). I'd estimate ~30%. Rest are transfer/access/full fee.

Ademir

HSC
Rorix said:
not many people in usyd law actually got 99.6+ (or whatever it is now). I'd estimate ~30%. Rest are transfer/access/full fee.
true, the access scheme is a good thing. Ive heard it can add around 5 points to the UAI, just if the school is on the program. is there any truth to this?

thanks for the reply btw :D

shsshs

HSC
Hi, no its nowhere near 30%. The vast majority of my class (at least 15 out of 20) are CSP students who got 99.6+.
I thought the Access scheme was for students with disabilities or unforseen circumstances during year 12.
Transferring into law requires at the very least, and usually higher, a Distinction Average in your uni year, which is nearly as hard as getting 99.6 anyway.

In terms of marks i got 99.80 doing:
Maths 3u - 98
4u - 96
Eng Adv - 91
Economics - 95
Physics - 94

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
shsshs said:
Transferring into law requires at the very least, and usually higher, a Distinction Average in your uni year, which is nearly as hard as getting 99.6 anyway.
It's really nowhere near that hard.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
Ademir said:
true, the access scheme is a good thing. Ive heard it can add around 5 points to the UAI, just if the school is on the program. is there any truth to this?
At Sydney Uni it's called the Broadway scheme. You can read about it here - http://www.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/undergrad/apply/broadway.shtml
It's for students that have had long-term educational disadvantages. There are a whole lot of different criteria for that - e.g. going to a rural school, having a disability etc.
It doesn't just add points to your UAI. Each faculty takes a certain number of Broadway students with marks below the CSP UAI cut-off. Because law is popular, they might fill their quota of Broadway places with students who scored 97.xx or 98.xx. That would mean that disadvantaged students who had a mark of 95 would not be offered a place (even though they were within 5 points).

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
shsshs said:
Hi, no its nowhere near 30%. The vast majority of my class (at least 15 out of 20) are CSP students who got 99.6+.
I thought the Access scheme was for students with disabilities or unforseen circumstances during year 12.

In terms of marks i got 99.80 doing:
Maths 3u - 98
4u - 96
Eng Adv - 91
Economics - 95
Physics - 94
Hey i'm sure you're a nice kid and all but quit showing off your marks.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
Hey i'm sure you're a nice kid and all but quit showing off your marks.
You're just antagonising because he comes from shs (shs) right :p

beachburky

HSC
did anyone respond to this post? i am interested in the responses u received as i to wish to do a bachelor of law and do not expect to reach the syd uni uai cut off:worried:
Ademir said:
Hey guys, just need a little advice :p

USYD law is gonna be my first choice when I apply for uni, but obviously the UAI cut-off is astronomical and I'm not expecting to get in.

The UAI calculator is fine, but I'd like some opinions from people who have gotten into this course, and what kinda marks/rankings they got in the HSC in order to achieve this? Did anyone do it without any extension subjects?

thanks!!

Ademir

HSC
the school i go to is on the acess scheme program, from what i understand, all our students will receive SOME bonus because the school itself is considered disadvantaged (something about high % of students from low socioeconomic backgrounds or non-english speaking backgrounds?)

So I can expect this to sort of help me out if I can achieve a UAI of 97?

thanks so far for everyone helping me out!

still interested to hear if anyone got the cutoff without doing extensions though, or at least not having them count in the UAI. thanks again!

Ademir

HSC
velox said:
97 is a bit low, usually you need 98+ for UNSW. So i imagine usyd will be higher.
You mean even with access scheme? ouch :worried:

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Ouch..harsh marks.
Work v hard.
Quit going on BOS forum
:p
I will....when year 12 starts...haha
I too share the same aspiartion...*tear*
Good luck
:)

Ademir

HSC
zdzislaw said:
Ouch..harsh marks.
Work v hard.
Quit going on BOS forum
:p
I will....when year 12 starts...haha
I too share the same aspiartion...*tear*
Good luck
:)
Don't you know? The BOS forum is the best way to procrastinate but REALLY convince yourself that you aren't wasting time, but really helping your education. It's awesome!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Triangulum said:
It's really nowhere near that hard.
Yeah, a D average is maybe the equivalent of a 94UAI? What do people think. I didn't do much work through school and got 92.75 by cramming towards the end. At uni with similar effort I would probably get upper credits. a distinction would require more consistent effort, thus my estimate of 94 UAI = 75.0 average. Personally, I think an HD average would be like getting a 100UAI.

It would be great if they gave us a percentile upon graduation comparing us against other students in our faculty. Then this debate could finally be settled.

Furthermore, if you're transferring to Law, there's a special scheme in place. The Rabbi Dov Schochet Memorial Scheme. Basically, if you have 50% or more Jewish blood, then you get a bonus 3 transfer points. This is a massive advantage. It's kind of like the Aboriginal scheme, except its designed to encourage more Jews to go for law, as they're naturally good at it, whereas Aboriginals aren't really good at anything. The basis is that of portfolios that you hand in for Fine Arts degrees and the such. You may miss out on the cut off but if your quality of work is great, then you deserve to be in the degree. If your quality of Jew is great, then you deserve to do law.

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
There's various ethically questionable ways to boost your UAI via ACCESS, if one is desperate enough.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
apparently ACCESS scheme benefits don't carry over after entering uni (they simply expire, and your actual UAI + GPA are what is used for the calculation of your transfer rank). This is unless you buy an ACCESS card.

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Yeah, a D average is maybe the equivalent of a 94UAI? What do people think. I didn't do much work through school and got 92.75 by cramming towards the end. At uni with similar effort I would probably get upper credits. a distinction would require more consistent effort, thus my estimate of 94 UAI = 75.0 average. Personally, I think an HD average would be like getting a 100UAI.
According to the document from Southern Cross University (which isn't really authorative information regarding USYD but can be considered at http://community.boredofstudies.org...6232/scu-selection-schedule.pdf?d=1098446854), GPA of 6.00 or distinction average after one year of study attracts selection mark that is equivalent to UAI of 96.00

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sydneyphoenix said:
According to the document from Southern Cross University (which isn't really authorative information regarding USYD but can be considered at http://community.boredofstudies.org...6232/scu-selection-schedule.pdf?d=1098446854), GPA of 6.00 or distinction average after one year of study attracts selection mark that is equivalent to UAI of 96.00
a UAI is a rank where they compare you to other students based on the percentile of where you place in the state. The NRSL rank is merely a conversion of a mark to a rank used for transfer purposes. It is in no way indicative of where you're actually placed compared to other students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)