Chances of making into Hurlstone Ag (Currently year 9) (1 Viewer)

MusicForLife

HSC
Hi guys, I'd like to know if I have any chances in making into Hurlstone Agricultural High School. Currently in a partial selective school.
Reports:

Year 8 Final
English: 82/100
Mathematics: 99/100
Science: 79/100
History: 90/100
Geography: 86/100
Visual Arts: 93/100
Technology Mandatory: 88/100
PDHPE: 70/100
Music: 87/100
Languages: 87/100

Year 9 Semester 1:
Mathematics Accelerated: 94/100
PDHPE: 86/100
History: 94/100
Commerce: 96/100
Geography: 90/100
Science: 87/100
Drama: 88/100
English: 80/100

Some competitions
Australian Maths Competition: Distinction - top 7%
Australia Geography Competition: High Distinction - top 2%
Australian History Competition: High Distinction - top 4%
ESSA(science thingy): Top band(6 it was I think) - top 5%

and some more extra curricular and so on.

Last edited:

bunnykun

HSC
What rank is your school around? Your reports seem pretty good, try and raise your marks a bit for english as english is usually the subject that schools care about most after maths for reports. For your application next year, what's most important is your yearly reports this year and yr 10 semester one reports next year. You should also join some clubs and volunteer as they'll boost your application by a lot. You have plenty of time to improve your application! :) Competition results seem great, schools really like HDs and you've got a few. I'm basing this off what my school looks for, but if you're going for year 11 entry next year, there will be a test and I think an essay? You should check out BOS users Rivalryoftroll and Elementalhero, they both have guides on applying for selective schools, and that'll give you more information. I know my school favours students that do accelerated maths, so continue getting that 90+ for maths!

If you maintain your reports and improve on English + bulk up your extracurriculars, you'll have an even better chance of making in Hurlstone ag. They take a lot of students for yr 11 entry so you're chances are definitely increased by the amount of spaces they offer. Are there any other schools you're interested in trying out for? :)

hayabusaboston

HSC
Hi guys, I'd like to know if I have any chances in making into Hurlstone Agricultural High School. Currently in a partial selective school.
Reports:

Year 8 Final
English: 82/100
Mathematics: 99/100
Science: 79/100
History: 90/100
Geography: 86/100
Visual Arts: 93/100
Technology Mandatory: 88/100
PDHPE: 70/100
Music: 87/100
Languages: 87/100

Year 9 Semester 1:
Mathematics Accelerated: 94/100
PDHPE: 86/100
Commerce: 96/100
Geography: 90/100
Science: 87/100
Drama: 88/100
English: 80/100

Some competitions
Australian Maths Competition: Distinction - top 7%
Australia Geography Competition: High Distinction - top 2%
Australian History Competition: High Distinction - top 4%
ESSA(science thingy): Top band(6 it was I think) - top 5%

and some more extra curricular and so on.
methinks we should make high school maths harder. Lel.

MusicForLife

HSC
What rank is your school around? Your reports seem pretty good, try and raise your marks a bit for english as english is usually the subject that schools care about most after maths for reports. For your application next year, what's most important is your yearly reports this year and yr 10 semester one reports next year. You should also join some clubs and volunteer as they'll boost your application by a lot. You have plenty of time to improve your application! :) Competition results seem great, schools really like HDs and you've got a few. I'm basing this off what my school looks for, but if you're going for year 11 entry next year, there will be a test and I think an essay? You should check out BOS users Rivalryoftroll and Elementalhero, they both have guides on applying for selective schools, and that'll give you more information. I know my school favours students that do accelerated maths, so continue getting that 90+ for maths!

If you maintain your reports and improve on English + bulk up your extracurriculars, you'll have an even better chance of making in Hurlstone ag. They take a lot of students for yr 11 entry so you're chances are definitely increased by the amount of spaces they offer. Are there any other schools you're interested in trying out for? :)
Hi thanks for this lengthy response, as for school rank its around 170. Last year around 2 students made it in my year group(from my school). I was reserved at 6th!! Nearly got in but oh wells.
Hurlstone ag is the only school im kinda interested in. Thanks!!

MusicForLife

HSC
Oh cos it just struck me the quantity of ppl who get incredible marks in maths is quite high tbh, and for a moment I wondered what HSC would be like if highest marks in extension 2 were like 70% lol. As example that is.
But even in extension 2 a lot of people get e4 which is kinda surprising to see, I thought it was something like university math. And as for me im hoping for 96/97 for 2u and 3u :D

hayabusaboston

HSC
But even in extension 2 a lot of people get e4 which is kinda surprising to see, I thought it was something like university math. And as for me im hoping for 96/97 for 2u and 3u :D
Yea what im saying is that BoS should calibrate it so Band 6 is top 1 percent or something. Right now band 6 is like 10-20 percent depending on what maths ur doing if I remember right.

Just in general, its pretty obvious most kids doing maths are doing excellently at it leading up to grade 12+HSC, so imo shift the maths curriculum of current HSC back two years, and bring in first two years of uni algebra etc into yr 11 and 12 for a real challenge ^^

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
From my experience (a few years back), Hurlstone doesn't really care about competitions or extracurricular activities - back when I applied and got an offer, I just handed in my reports and did the entrance exam.

That being said, the process may have changed since then.

Also, the key to getting into Hurlstone is doing well on your entrance exam - more so than your reports.

bunnykun

HSC
Oops, RoT is definitely more experienced in this field ^^ I've personally haven't tried out for hurlstone ag so I'm not quite sure what they're looking for in admissions, I was basing it off my school. Guess you'll just have to do well in your entrance exam then! Good luck! :)

boredofstudying247

HSC
Yea what im saying is that BoS should calibrate it so Band 6 is top 1 percent or something. Right now band 6 is like 10-20 percent depending on what maths ur doing if I remember right.

Just in general, its pretty obvious most kids doing maths are doing excellently at it leading up to grade 12+HSC, so imo shift the maths curriculum of current HSC back two years, and bring in first two years of uni algebra etc into yr 11 and 12 for a real challenge ^^
So tell us why you didn't get band 6 for either Extension 1 or Extension 2? :)

hayabusaboston

HSC
So tell us why you didn't get band 6 for either Extension 1 or Extension 2? :)
because I was an arrogant prick who thought he could get band 6 EZ without much effort, therefore didnt do many past papers or study therefore paid the price lel.

+ I was ranked 2nd in mx1 cos I missed an assessment and so my best friend who was always couple steps behind me overtook me and I couldnt catch up before trials haha.

iStudent

HSC

More like 30+ for 3/4u and 22 for 2u, lol. It is kind of unbalanced if you think about it (especially considering this is before scaling...) but to be fair, only the most capable do 4u anyway - and for that reason, they are prob more likely to get e4. (much like how 20-30% ppl get e4 in EE1/EE2)

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Strong, strong thread derail happening here, but what counts as a b6 is basically arbitrary. Potentially no one in the state could get a band 6 if the examiners saw fit. The examiners set marks based on the descriptors of a band 6 in that subject so that a band 6 in one year should be the same level of achievement as a band 6 in any other year. But yeah, I guess the examiners could make the band 6 requirements more stringent, but there's not actually any reason to. Why do you think they should restrict b6s to just top 1%?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)