• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chances of transfer (1 Viewer)

Kmahal1990

HSC
I want to study Arts/Law at UNSW, but my UAI will only be around high mid to high 98. I'm considering paying for the first year (full fee) and transfer after the first year. The UNSW website says you have a decent chance if you have around 97UAI and a distinction to credit average over your first year. Is this an accurate statement? I'm wondering if there are actually alot of people who transfer successfully from full fee to commonwealth supported places after the first year, and how hard is it to get a distinction to credit average. Is the distinction to credit average based on ranking system or just if you get over a certain score? I dont think i can afford to keep paying after the first year, so i want to know what my chances of transferring will be.

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
My advice (for what it's worth) unless you're obssessed with going to UNSW to do law do not pay full fee for first year even if you can transfer. Either go to another law school or pick another course at UNSW. Don't underestimate how hard it will be to get the average required to transfer either. I don't know about UNSW but at ANU distinctions are top 10-15% of the cohort and you are up against smart people. What do you do if you finish first year full fee and you don't have the marks to transfer?

brows

HSC
banco55 said:
My advice (for what it's worth) unless you're obssessed with going to UNSW to do law do not pay full fee for first year even if you can transfer. Either go to another law school or pick another course at UNSW. Don't underestimate how hard it will be to get the average required to transfer either. I don't know about UNSW but at ANU distinctions are top 10-15% of the cohort and you are up against smart people. What do you do if you finish first year full fee and you don't have the marks to transfer?
i agree with banco. The risk is too great if you dont meet the average required.

M@C D@DDY

HSC
For you, I would recommend that you do either a straight Arts degree at UNSW or go to do combined law at UTS and then transfer. As the previous posts have pointed out, it's not in your best interests to take up law in the first year as it could be difficult to secure that D average especially taking both foundations and torts (this is not questioning your intelligence by any means). That is the safe option, but to pay and complete your first year also has its advantages, you will be with the same cohort and make friends earlier than if you would transfer. And also you wouldn't be running into a tough study plan after you transfer, because they re-structure your study program so that you will be doing more law subjects in your second and third year. It's a matter of personal preference but the first is the one I would recommend.

Good Luck in your HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)