Change and continuity questions (1 Viewer)

AstralGal

Hey does anyone know if i can get a prepared essay or any info or something for the three questions for Continuity and Change? They are - Is all change necessarily progress?
- Which groups benefit from change? Which do not?
- Are Westernisation, modernisation and industrialisation inevitable?
I have stuff to swap with if you want!

amadeus1

HSC
hey im having the exact same problem. Ive searched the whole net and i can't find anything . All i can think of is that Vientnam for example benefited from the introduction of doi moi ... but not from other things. But the westernisation thing im totally screwed i have no idea ....

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I remember this question when i did S&C. I can type up my answer and the marking guideline for you. It is not exactly the same, but I hope you will get the point.

3 a) Explain the concept of "westernisation" (2 marks)
Westernisation is catalysed by globalisation. It is the beliefs and behaviours of the world culture influenced by ideas derived from western societies such as the US, Australia and the UK. The worldview is based upon capitalism and materialism - making money and possessing physical materials dominate over spirituality of the culture.

Mark: 2/2.

Marking guidleline:
Should be able to describe the process of ways in which some countries adapt the values common in major western countries, such as democracy, capitalism and free market economy, with specific examples.

b) Assess the argument that westernisation is inevitable in the 21st century. (4 marks)
Westernisation is inevitable in the 21st century as the world is heavily influenced by technologies and globalisation. The US is constantly promoting new technologies around the globe and as a result, the ideas and behaviours of possessing goods are also being conveyed. For example, Vietnam is under the influence of globalisation and westernisation, such as Coke and McDonald that penetrate the food and drink industries. These are forms of TNCs, demonstrating the role of westernisation. The Vietnamese adapt to this western ideology of materilism and capitalism of making money instead of promoting cultural continuity, traditions and customs such as going to temples and participate in traditional weddings. These have been replaced with business (factories) and white weddings. Therefore, westernisation is inevitable in the 21st century and erasing traditions and customs.

Mark: 4/4.

Marking guideline:
A strong response comes to a conclusion about the validity of the argument, or may even argue successfully that it is unanswerable. The key to the success of the response will be the range of specific examples that convey understanding of the argument, and underpin their assessment of the argument. (3-4 marks)

I hope this will help you on what needs to be included in your answer. Obviously you need a lot of specific examples, drawing upon your study of your specific country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)