• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Change from Senior Science (1 Viewer)

HSC_student211

HSC
Just completed the first term of HSC and got 45% in my chem exam, how hard would it be to to change into senior science having missed the whole first term and quickly approaching the half yearlies?
I am dedicated towards learning its just I never really go on with chemistry and all the concepts

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
tbh you'd probably have to fight with the principal/teachers/whatever just to get put in the class at this point, even then you might not be able to
have they had an assessment for senior science yet? if they have, honestly i think you would have very little chance of just getting in the class

if you somehow manage to get in, you should be able to catch up fairly easily if you work hard, and really the only way to go from there is up and is purely dependent on how hard you work

imo i think it would be more beneficial to stay with chem, and work out what's holding you back in the subject, i.e. perhaps look into tutoring if you're struggling to get concepts in the classroom or ask questions on the forum, change the way you prepare for exams (do more past papers + get them marked), write notes according to the syllabus dot points, try using different textbooks

how many units are you on btw?

HSC_student211

HSC
thanks for quick reply

I do 11 units;
mathematics
EXT 1
standard eng
Business studies
physics
chem

I've spoken to relevant teachers and moving from chem to seniors science is not an issue at all (literally just filling out a form and that's it), my only concern is the work i have missed in the first term for seniors science and how hard it will be for me to catch up especially with half yearlies coming up.
I really don't want to keep chem, my teacher is really hopeless and just can not teach if his life depended on it, all most all students in my class are able to self teach or do invest in tutoring. Unfortunately I began the HSC thinking I could self teach myself with the aid of a tutor, but it just isn't making any sense.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Well you're in a bit of a pickle then lol seeing as you can't outright drop it
Personally I feel you because I dropped chem because I hated it lol, but I had extra units
It might be worth a shot trying to change classes for Chem, if you can think of a legitimate/semi-decent excuse

I can't really help with the specifics of senior science because I didn't do it, so I'll leave that for someone else to answer. but imo 1 term of content shouldn't be that hard to catch up if you commit to doing it, and tbh do you think you understand much more in chem right now than you would in senior science after 1 or 2 weeks of catchup lol?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1.Get a chemistry tutor?
2.Hand in practice answers to chemistry problems to teacher, and get feedback
3.Purchase someone else's chemistry notes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)