Changes to Science Education (1 Viewer)

Iruka

HSC
N/A
About a week ago, I got this e-mail from uni (UNSW) about changes to the structure of the BSc/BEd course. Since I've just finished, it is all a bit irrelevant to me, but anyway...

Apparently the course had to be restructured due to increased requirements from NSWIT. In sum, they are increasing the number of days prac (about bloody time, too, IMO) but they are also increasing the number of compulsory Ed courses and overall UOC in education that are required for the course.

I think if I was going to start uni now with the the proposed new structure for the double degree I probably wouldn't do it - I'd get a BSc and then a dip ed (or whatever that is going to metamorphose into) instead. I mean, more Ed crap = less maths, and that surely must be a bad thing.

I was wondering if any other unis are making similar changes?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
i can't answer your question, but i was wondering at UNSW if i already have a B. Sci degree, which courses will i need to do to be qualified to teach at DET run schools in NSW? (i.e. to get a graduate diploma in education, or the lowest award that DET will accept.)

me121

Premium Member
HSC

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
I've been told Newcastle has had to scrap the dip ed course because of these new requirements. You have to do a masters now (2 years instead of 1 that the dip ed was). Is this the same with other unis or .. ?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Yes, well, I was wondering if the dip ed was going to be the subject of the next round of reforms. I haven't heard that the UNSW dip ed is about to be scrapped, but obviously the writing is on the wall.

I think it is pretty stupid, actually, to make people go to uni for 5+ years, acquire a 20 - 25K HECS debt, and then basically pay them bus driver's wages.

How about a substantial pay rise, in line with the requirement for increased qualifications?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
You do maths at Newcastle, right?

Were you thinking of doing their dip ed?

I was going to do the B. Maths at Newy about five years ago, but then I moved to Sydney. I didn't want to do the B.Math/ B. Ed double degree there, cause I thought it had w-a-a-a-y too many education units in it. (I have this long standing antagonism to Ed courses. Unfortunately, the ones at UNSW have not disappointed me.) I did one year of Open Foundation at Newcastle, though. Even back then, there was talk of the Dip Ed disappearing or being restructured into a 2 year course.

It seems UNSW is still offering a 1 year dip ed. UNE offers one (don't know the duration) through correspondence, which is probably good, because it wouldn't interfere with the rest of your life too much.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
oh god education subjects = mickey mouse

do a few readings and write 3 or 4 essays and that's it, not even on the same level as a science subject in any way

and most of it's the most asinine, self-justifying crap...

basically they're scrapping the DipEd so your only option will be the 2 year Bachelor of Education.

EDIT: unless,

The NSW Institute of Teachers (NSWIT) has reviewed its graduate teaching standards for future teachers in NSW. All students currently enrolled in the Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary and Secondary programs) will have until the end of 2009 to complete the program in order to be recognised by the NSW Institute of Teachers.

However, any student currently enrolled in the Graduate Diploma of Education (Primary and Secondary) who does not finish by the end of 2009 and wishes to be accredited as a teacher in NSW, will need to transfer to the new Master of Teaching (Primary) or Master of Teaching (Secondary) program in 2009. Entry to the Master of Teaching is based on pre-requisite knowledge as well as a completed undergraduate degree.

If you do not complete by the end of 2009 and your undergraduate degree does not meet the subject knowledge pre-requisites for admission to the Master of Teaching, you will be advised to enrol in the Bachelor of Education program, in order that you may complete the discipline units required for accreditation.

Last edited:

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
I was considering doing a dip ed this year, but I wasn't sure if I'd like teaching (I never really intended to become a teacher, but always liked tutoring maths when I was doing it). I stayed around for honours in maths because I liked the maths and would have been given some tutorials so I could find out if I liked the 'teaching/tutoring' side of things.

It turned out I really liked the tutorials. But 2 years of education subjects just to be allowed to teach maths now? Ugh. Dunno what to make of it yet. If other unis are still offering a dip ed next year I might jump on that boat. The problem is, will not having a masters make a difference (regarding pay mostly, but also positions and other things) down the track when they start to become the norm? Maybe not in principle, but who knows in practice, especially when it comes to different positions.

Captain, yeah I think I read something similar to that on the uni website, but unfortunately I'm not enrolled yet :)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
darkliight said:
I was considering doing a dip ed this year, but I wasn't sure if I'd like teaching (I never really intended to become a teacher, but always liked tutoring maths when I was doing it). I stayed around for honours in maths because I liked the maths and would have been given some tutorials so I could find out if I liked the 'teaching/tutoring' side of things.

It turned out I really liked the tutorials. But 2 years of education subjects just to be allowed to teach maths now? Ugh. Dunno what to make of it yet. If other unis are still offering a dip ed next year I might jump on that boat. The problem is, will not having a masters make a difference (regarding pay mostly, but also positions and other things) down the track when they start to become the norm? Maybe not in principle, but who knows in practice, especially when it comes to different positions.

Captain, yeah I think I read something similar to that on the uni website, but unfortunately I'm not enrolled yet :)
lol. i have now crossed of teaching as a possible career. its very hard to find out info about it, and from my research so far, too much essay writing, subjects about how the kids will "feel". not saying that this doesn't have value, but its not what i would want to do.

and 2 years, on top of a degree of all education subjects is too much for my liking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)