changing courses and possibly UNis (1 Viewer)

The Professor

HSC
Hi all,

So I'm currently doing a B.Science and B.Arts in international studies at UTS obviously
the thing is, the fact that getting a job in the science field (which you would be lucky enough to get) does not pay well scares me. i mean i dont want to work just to be able to survive. i want a job that earns me enough money to not only provide for myself, but also help my parents out.

im doing science because i enjoy it. but ive read on forums that its extremely repetitive and competitive. do i have the skillset for it? i dont know.
ive been having second thoughts and have been leaning towards commerce/business, changing courses will put me into more debt and would waste more time, but idk im really confused right now.

are these second thoughts normal?

thanks

Silly Sausage

HSC
Pretty much all disciplines are competitive, changing your degree to commerce or something else doesn't mean you'll get a high paying job/or one at all. Plus, what's the point of doing something that you have no interest in at all for your entire career?

Brian1800

HSC
Are you planning to do honours? Which field are you interested in?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all,

So I'm currently doing a B.Science and B.Arts in international studies at UTS obviously
the thing is, the fact that getting a job in the science field (which you would be lucky enough to get) does not pay well scares me. i mean i dont want to work just to be able to survive. i want a job that earns me enough money to not only provide for myself, but also help my parents out.

im doing science because i enjoy it. but ive read on forums that its extremely repetitive and competitive. do i have the skillset for it? i dont know.
ive been having second thoughts and have been leaning towards commerce/business, changing courses will put me into more debt and would waste more time, but idk im really confused right now.

are these second thoughts normal?

thanks
study hard and go postgrad

The Professor

HSC
@silly sausage
people are always like do something you love. but in the real world, you may not actually get a job.

@Brian1800
I'm was planning to get into research into medicine and i'm not sure to be completely honest.

@Rhinoz8142
thanks for the motivation, mate. im considering it.

thanks for the replies guys. i have a lot of thinking to do.

Brian1800

HSC
@silly sausage
people are always like do something you love. but in the real world, you may not actually get a job.
Do something you like otherwise you will regret it. Are you willing to spend your whole life doing a job you dislike clearly? Science is not some field which has a 30% employment rate.

@Brian1800
I'm was planning to get into research into medicine and i'm not sure to be completely honest.
Are you sure you want to do medicine? If so, then continue. I'd advise you to pick subjects that are somewhat related to medicine, but pick easy general electives.

Ethicks

HSC
Agreed with above, do what you enjoy and forget everything else. I could have done Civil Engineering with Architecture at UNSW if I wanted but I don't enjoy that it's not for me the sooner you realise that the better. I'm doing Biomedical Science which is something I love and enjoy, I know I can get a job out of it as I've worked in the industry but I also have the option for post grad medicine. Depending what area of Science you are studying will depend on the job opportunities available there are plenty of jobs you can find that will be looking for people with science degrees it might not be what you expected.

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
You've chosen both degrees that have very little skillsets in getting a job - when someone does a science or art degree it's usually in combination with a more employable degree such as engo,comm or law so that one is the more enjoyable degree and the other a more practical degree that offers job prospects. A science degree on its own is in it's core unable for you to get relevant jobs unless you major in something like stats or maths where an analytical skillset is acquired and valued by many jobs - most of the research jobs are taken by medical science honour students or at the very least an advanced science degree holder with great marks (think HD average). There simply aren't many jobs in most fields of sciences to go around which is why its so competitive and you're right to think you should change. People saying do what you like are correct, but you also need to face it that the world has demand and supply, and right now there is far too much supply of science degree holders vs jobs. The international studies is another irrelevant major because it teaches you no concrete skillset or knowledge and all the subjects are very fluffy that don't come into play in the workforce much at all(and if they do , they are easily taught on the spot).

Sure almost all degrees are competitive including commerce, but with commerce as long as you get decent marks (credit-d average) with some retail exp etc. You'll be able to land an accounting job most likely, the same can't be said for science or international studies.

The Professor

HSC
@Chronost
I know you're right. I don't know what to do. I mean I do, but i don't know if i want to do first year all over again and spend more time in Uni.
I'm considering business/international studies or science/business right now.
Thanks for this.

(im just a first year and im stressing the fk out over this)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)