Changing courses? (1 Viewer)

longtusk

HSC
Hello all... I was just wondering... is it at all possible to switch to another course so early (late?) in the year? How exactly do you go about it? I just started journalism today and... it wasn't at all what I was expecting >___>;; I know it's stupid of me to only realise it now but it's really not what I want to do... so I was thinking of maybe changing to the writing and cultural studies program instead... is that allowed? Is it possible to do or do I just have to stick out journalism till the end of the year or something?

Sorry about my rambling n00b-ness... but if anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated :D

sasquatch

HSC
Hi,

I dont think its possible to change courses right now, but it would definately be possible to do an internal transfer after semester 1 is completed.

Having a look at both the Journalism course and the Writing and Cultural studies courses, they only differ in one subject for the first semester. See below:

Journalism:

Year 1
Autumn semester
STM90387
50105 Communication and Information Environments 6cp
50107 Rethinking Culture 6cp
50109 Power and Change in Australia 6cp
STM90383
50114 Journalism 1 6cp

Writing and Cultural Studies:

Year 1
Autumn semester
STM90387
50105 Communication and Information Environments 6cp
50107 Rethinking Culture 6cp
50109 Power and Change in Australia 6cp
STM90385
50122 Writing: Style and Structure 6cp

So if your not liking journalism, you still have to do three of the subjects in Writing and Cultural studies anyway. If you still want to change because you hate just the "Journalism 1" class, i recommend that you withdraw from Journalism 1 and complete the 3 core subjects this semester (will still count as full-time) and then internally transfer after this semester is over. That way once your course has been changed, you will get recognition for the three subjects, and will only be behind in one - "Writing: Style and Structure" which perhaps you may overload in the next semester.

If you can screw around with your enrollment, you MAY be able to enrol into "Writing: Style and Structure", and thus essentially you'll be doing Writing and Cultural Studies, but youre degree will still be officially "Journalism" unless you internally transfer. If you cannot enrol in this subject, you might also want to try performing an e-request and explain your situation, and someone might be able to manually enroll you into the "Writing: Style and Structure" subject.

Check out these links for more info:

B Arts in Comm (Journalism) Plan - http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/hss/ug/c10096.html

B Arts in Comm (Writing and Cultural Studies) - http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/hss/ug/c10099.html

Internal Course Transfers - http://www.sau.uts.edu.au/enrolment/continuing/internalcoursetransfers.html

e-Requests - http://datasearch.uts.edu.au/evop/

Hope that helps.

BlytheChloe

HSC
longtusk said:
Hello all... I was just wondering... is it at all possible to switch to another course so early (late?) in the year? How exactly do you go about it? I just started journalism today and... it wasn't at all what I was expecting >___>;; I know it's stupid of me to only realise it now but it's really not what I want to do... so I was thinking of maybe changing to the writing and cultural studies program instead... is that allowed? Is it possible to do or do I just have to stick out journalism till the end of the year or something?

Sorry about my rambling n00b-ness... but if anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated :D
OMG. We're on the same boat. I went to the afternoon seminar.

I want to change to Public Communication and do Advertising now =.=

longtusk

HSC
sasquatch: You are an absolute lifesaver!!! Thanks heaps for all your help- that sounds like the best way to go, I'll ask and see if I can do it like that... thanks heaps again!!! You're awesome :D

Musk: Yeah that's what I was considering doing... but I wasn't sure how to go about applying next year... would you have to do the HSC all over again?? Or can you just use the same UAI?

BlytheChloe: Omg you have no idea how relieved I am to hear I'm not the only one.. haha D: and are you serious?? I went to the afternoon seminar too :O whereabouts were you sitting?

BlytheChloe

HSC
longtusk said:
BlytheChloe: Omg you have no idea how relieved I am to hear I'm not the only one.. haha D: and are you serious?? I went to the afternoon seminar too :O whereabouts were you sitting?
Somewhere to the right of the room when you first enter =)

Who are you?

sasquatch

HSC
Oh hey sorry,

I guess i didnt really read the ICT info properly, just assumed what i thought i knew.

• Undergraduate students seeking to transfer within their current faculty. However Humanities and Social Sciences students should refer to the instructions on the HSS Internal Course transfer website.

(From http://www.sau.uts.edu.au/enrolment/continuing/internalcoursetransfers.html)

I knew the first sentence, but didnt know that there was an exception for Humanities. The other things i said still should be true however, just yeah as Musk said, you'll have to do it through UAC. I dunno why they would make a stupid exception to the ICT rule for only Humanities, but applying through UAC shouldn't be much of a pain (as I did it myself in the past). You will need to pay about $45 (if i remember correctly), and fill in a few forms.

Looking at the website, it seems that you will have to suffer through one year of something that you hate, before you can successfully transfer into your new course. But reading further down and seeing this

Students whose application to change their course is not approved may be able to enrol in subjects as electives from the course they had applied to change although they continue to complete the course in which they had originally enrolled.
Makes me think that they would probably let you change the journalism subjects to writing and cultural studies, so you should probably try and do an e-request or go speak to the faculty coordinator. If they act like bitches and refuse you, and theres no way to get around it on one stop admin, you have two options i guess:

- You could do the journalism courses for S1 and S2 (1 subject each semester) and count them as electives in your new course once you've transfered which means you'll still be able to finish your degree on time, but you loose 2 electives out of four.
- You could do 3 subjects for S1 and S2 (so you dont waste money or electives), but you'll have to spend a bit longer at uni (one extra semester). You'd have two extra subjects to do in your final semester, this would course a problem of you being considered a part time student for that semester, but to get around this you could do 3 subjects in another semester so that you could ensure that you're doing at least 3 or 4 subjects a semester to always be considered part time. Advantage to this is that you'd have 4 semesters of 3 subjects, which is obviously a reduced work-load.

I dunno, UTS could be lenient and let you do transfer through ICT, sometimes UTS likes to fuck around and be arseholes, like to my friends girlfriend a couple days ago. She was doing B Eng / B Bus last year (and well still is this year), and decided (when it was too late) that she wanted to transfer to just B Bus. So she asked if she could just do B Bus subjects this year so she doesnt waste money and time, and they were being dickheads and said no, she has to do 2 bus, 2 eng (which sounds like bullshit to me) But i just told her.. stuff them, just enrol in them anyway, as one stop admin doesnt give a shit, and i know people that have alternated subjects of each degree each semester. I.e. B IT / B Bus doing IT subjects in S1 then all Bus subjects in S2. So UTS are sometimes full of shit and just mean to certain people, nice to others. My girlfriend got enrolled in all this crap taht she wanted (but wasn't supposed to be) after she transfered, and shes doing B Eng / B Sci. So i guess it depends on your faculty.

For more information on the applying via UAC check the link

Non school leaver - http://www.uts.edu.au/study/additional.html#cslx

Hope that clear some things up, and sorry for giving you some incorrect advice (and possibly false hope) in the first place.

Edit: You also might wanna check out this link too: http://www.hss.uts.edu.au/student_info/faqs_guides/enrolment.html#79

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)