Changing English Advanced Text (1 Viewer)

Suzanne.A

HSC
Hi all,

I wanted to hear some thoughts about changing my common module prescribed text for the final HSC exam. My English advanced class is studying 'All The Light We Cannot See' (2014) by Anthony Doerr, whereas the other English advanced class in my school does 1984 by George Orwell.

I did not enjoy the text, and found it somewhat challenging to comprehend and analyse it (especially with the non-linear, dual narrative structure), as well as generally linking it to the common module rubric. I was thinking of studying 1984 independently, and studying it myself during the holidays. I haven't actually spoken with someone who has changed their prescribed text for their final HSC exam, but I was wondering how that has worked out for anyone who's done it/ considering it.

Thoughts?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In theory, studying a different prescribed text from the one that your class is studying should not pose a problem, provided that you are prepared to do what it takes to analyse and study the text that you are interested in (in this case, Orwell's "1984"), allowing you to gain a thorough understanding of it with reference to the Common Module. You seem to have the will to put in the effort to effectively switch from your current prescribed text to 1984. The good thing is that, irrespective of the text that you end up choosing to study, you are free to study any of the prescribed texts for the Common Module (and any other module for that matter), meaning that you are not necessarily restricted by the prescribed texts that are covered at your school.

In the interest of performance, you should check whether your teacher would still be willing to provide you with feedback on your written pieces if you end up choosing "1984". As you may already be aware, seeking feedback and implementing suggestions can assist you in improving the standard of your writing and the manner in which you establish links between a particular prescribed text, its module and the question. A lack of feedback is definitely an unwanted outcome as it could hinder your pursuit of favourable performance.

With that being said, I would suggest giving Doerr's "All the Light We Cannot See" one final attempt to maximise your certitude. If after that you find that you strongly believe that this text is just not for you, you may wish to proceed with your plan of studying "1984". Otherwise, you may wish to reconsider your decision and perhaps stick to your class's prescribed text.

I hope this helps! 😄

yanujw

HSC
I won't tell you with certainty that you should switch. However, if you do, you'll find a lot more online resources and discussion for 1984, which will be beneficial and might inform your decision.

Suzanne.A

HSC
In theory, studying a different prescribed text from the one that your class is studying should not pose a problem, provided that you are prepared to do what it takes to analyse and study the text that you are interested in (in this case, Orwell's "1984"), allowing you to gain a thorough understanding of it with reference to the Common Module. You seem to have the will to put in the effort to effectively switch from your current prescribed text to 1984. The good thing is that, irrespective of the text that you end up choosing to study, you are free to study any of the prescribed texts for the Common Module (and any other module for that matter), meaning that you are not necessarily restricted by the prescribed texts that are covered at your school.

In the interest of performance, you should check whether your teacher would still be willing to provide you with feedback on your written pieces if you end up choosing "1984". As you may already be aware, seeking feedback and implementing suggestions can assist you in improving the standard of your writing and the manner in which you establish links between a particular prescribed text, its module and the question. A lack of feedback is definitely an unwanted outcome as it could hinder your pursuit of favourable performance.

With that being said, I would suggest giving Doerr's "All the Light We Cannot See" one final attempt to maximise your certitude. If after that you find that you strongly believe that this text is just not for you, you may wish to proceed with your plan of studying "1984". Otherwise, you may wish to reconsider your decision and perhaps stick to your class's prescribed text.

I hope this helps! 😄

Thank you for your insight, I will take it into consideration. I will see how I go with this term's assessment on ATLWCS and make a decision from there. : )

Suzanne.A

HSC
I won't tell you with certainty that you should switch. However, if you do, you'll find a lot more online resources and discussion for 1984, which will be beneficial and might inform your decision.
There are certainly numerous resources on 1984, and ones that have been paid for by my school, which is part of the reason I was considering it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)