changing lanes (1 Viewer)

AntiJap

HSC
N/A
When changing lanes, do you have to indicate for 5 seconds beforehand? If you don't is it an instant fail in the Ps test?

I just think 5 seconds is a bit long is all, especially when the lanes are packed with cars.

Thanks

williamc

HSC
Put your indicator on. Check your main mirror, then your side mirror, then over your shoulder.

Merge into equilbrium.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
The only time you'll ever need 5 seconds (apart from bumper to bumper traffic) is during your test.

Foxodi

HSC
Make note, after the test nothing really matters, just go with the flow and w/e is comfortable (and safes) :D

CieL

HSC
I never counted how long [in seconds] I indicate.

In the DART I just quickly glanced at all my mirrors to make sure it's a good time to indicate.. flipped on indicators, let them click twice.. looked at respective mirrors in an exaggerated manner, exaggerated blind spot check.. Merge

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
CieL said:
I never counted how long [in seconds] I indicate.

In the DART I just quickly glanced at all my mirrors to make sure it's a good time to indicate.. flipped on indicators, let them click twice.. looked at respective mirrors in an exaggerated manner, exaggerated blind spot check.. Merge
thats exactly what you do, so it makes the instructor think your very cautious. It got me my P's that way :eek: .

Im just a nerd driver now, i dont even want to go for my full licence(unrestricted licence) cause i think i dont really need those extra points.

Its 1 way you know your getting old.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
in practice most people indicate for one flash of the indicator, usually after they've started changing :D
I HATE that. People need to indicate BEFORE they start moving. We can already see what you're doing, we need to know BEFORE you do it.

grrr. One of my pet peeves. It's so easy to indicate, and it's so useful and makes things safer, I can't believe people don't do it.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
scarybunny said:
I HATE that. People need to indicate BEFORE they start moving. We can already see what you're doing, we need to know BEFORE you do it.

grrr. One of my pet peeves. It's so easy to indicate, and it's so useful and makes things safer, I can't believe people don't do it.
I hate when people indicate to change lanes, and when they change and are on the lane, they dont turn off the indicator, so FFS, it makes the traffic behind him go crazy, especially when its a massive truck or bus.

WORST DRIVERS ON THE ROADS:

5) Oldies
4) Females
3) Asians
2) Asian females
1) Asian on L's

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I'm a fucking awesome driver. Partly because I think everyone else is a shitty driver, so I'm always prepared for them to do something stupid.

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
wrsti said:
I hate when people indicate to change lanes, and when they change and are on the lane, they dont turn off the indicator
Seconded.

CieL said:
In the DART I just quickly glanced at all my mirrors to make sure it's a good time to indicate.. flipped on indicators, let them click twice.. looked at respective mirrors in an exaggerated manner, exaggerated blind spot check..
Haha yeah I recommend this. One of my friends just failed his because he didn't turn his head or look far enough when he checked his blind spot or something.

I thought it was
1. Mirror check
2. Indicate
3. Blind spot

When I had a few lessons before I went for my P's, my instructors little acronym was "MIB". Oh well, I passed.

And yes its 3 seconds to indicate.

Foxodi

HSC
wrxsti said:
I hate when people indicate to change lanes, and when they change and are on the lane, they dont turn off the indicator, so FFS, it makes the traffic behind him go crazy, especially when its a massive truck or bus.

WORST DRIVERS ON THE ROADS:

5) Oldies
4) Females
3) Asians
2) Asian females
1) Asian on L's
Hah, when my mate was driving me home we got stuck behind some car for 10mins. We were going through the list of what the driver is; female, asian or old.

Turned out they were an old female asian :D was funny stuff.

AntiJap

HSC
N/A
So are u guys sure it's 3 seconds? My mum keeps saying they changed it from 3 to 5 with the new test. Is that right? 5 seconds seems ages, especially in tight situations.

HSC
five seconds is way too much...in those "tight situations" you *should* be staying in your own lane anyway (although not the case in reality i guess, but may be a reason why they would change the rule).

maybe you should do one quick lesson with a driving instructor before you do the actual test. just so you do what they want you to do.

Pace_T

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
in practice most people indicate for one flash of the indicator, usually after they've started changing :D
yep thats me! i start moving first and then flash my indicator for a split second, u'know, only cause i have to :D
but i never indicate to ask other drivers to make a gap for me, i only change lanes when i can get in without having to make other drivers give me space. so thats why i got in the habit of doing the dodgy.
faggots that put their indicators and expect u to make a gap for them pisses me off 100000x times more. i never let any of them in (unless the lane was ending and they had no idea for example). find a gap yourself, im not going to slow down for you. fuck off you cunts.

Keepleft

HSC
N/A
5 seconds appies when pulling out from the kerb. (Shoulder check etc).

Then, "sufficient warning" applies for other moves. (Shoulder check, lane changes, diverging left or right, when using slip lanes etc).

2 flashes (clicks) for a lane change, especially for faster roads is *not* sufficient warning.

I expect in NSW the penalty for this offence to carry additional demerit points loss in time.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
most of the time when i want to change lanes, i dont use my indicator at all, cause when i turn my indicator on, you can see in the mirror the cars start to speed up and close the gap, fucking morons.

so i just do a dangerous, no signal change of lanes, works perfectly and you can sit back relax and glance in the mirror and see the anguish in the drivers behind you. :lol:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
wrxsti said:
so i just do a dangerous, no signal change of lanes, works perfectly and you can sit back relax and glance in the mirror and see the anguish in the drivers behind you.
That's the dumbest fucking thing I've heard in my life. I really hope you merge into a semi or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)