Character development (1 Viewer)

tako

tako one adlay.
HSC
How do you develop your character in relation to your chosen monologue? Do you take the extracts of playwright interviews, research the character etc etc, or do you just read the script, and formulate a character based on what you read, and back it up with lots of yummy sexy BOS approved performance/character theories?

Discuss, bitchez.

I be writing my Logbook stuff at the moment, basing it on a mix of both elements.

new 2 HSC

HSC
i started to develop my character using the script but decided i didnt like it cos she was too old so after talking to my teachers i began creating my own character but still used the script as a guide to her personality. i dont think it matters how u develop ur character although it depends on the script ur doing. mine could be easily changed but others may not have the same freedom. your best source in my opinion is ur drama teacher/s. they're there to give advice and to answer ur questions. on the topic of characters, i was wondering what needs to be included in a character profile besides the basic (name, age...etc) cos i have to do one by thursday and im not sure wot else to include

HSC
i neva play out a character with the way it was written in the script unless it was from a famous play like Macbeth of sumthn where i wouldnt dare to touch it cause i would probably wreck it. I normally just make up my own thing after ive read it and create the character in my mind, i think its more fun that way, i look forward to creating my own character from scratch rather than creating a character that has already been set.

Dartanus

HSC
Im adapting my IP from a novel, Interview with the vampire, So I have a clear vision of what my character should be. the majour problem I seem to have is that I cannot express my vision of Louis onto paper. *laughs* you would think that with the movie it would be easier? Well it isnt for me. I find I have a perfect image in my mind, that I try to emulate every time I try to act out the peice, but often I find I cannot exicute it as well as i like. So either im going to have to change my views and character, or practise more with what ive got. Though I think it is really getting to late to change the character alltogether, I may have to

tako

tako one adlay.
HSC
Oh dude, believe me. I know the feeling of not being able to express a vision on paper :p

I long for the day when 12 years of education is avaliable in tablet form :/

Mind you, I'll be out of school by then, so screw the bastards!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i always start out trying to develop characters the way the script would like it, because i see it as a kind of challenge: how accurate can i get this character? sort of thing. although usually the piece will end up evolving and changing into something different and i dont even notice. it's been like that with my IP: i started out very close to what the original play asked of me but its developed into a much more obviously eccentric character...its lost subtlety as it went along. its the same character in many ways, but then again in many ways its different, particularly movement-wise.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
tako said:
How do you develop your character in relation to your chosen monologue? Do you take the extracts of playwright interviews, research the character etc etc, or do you just read the script, and formulate a character based on what you read, and back it up with lots of yummy sexy BOS approved performance/character theories?

Discuss, bitchez.

I be writing my Logbook stuff at the moment, basing it on a mix of both elements.
What an excellent question! I will not back up my answers with any sexy BOS theories as I am an old, old girl and am not sure if they have changed (since 2004).
However, this is how I developed my character (all of which was documented in my logbook!)
- extractions from the script were the initial character development maps. What kind of personality I could be, history, family, occupation etc. Use your imagination within context.
- themes and issues of the piece were next. Mine dealt with mistaken identity and sex changes. So I researched the two, came up with 20 pages of stuff that related to my monologue directly. Such as transexual bashings/bullying etc...that's what my monologue sort of dealt with.
- first reactions as to what you think your character would look like...if you can draw that is.
- Rhythm analysis. The way the text is written sometimes indicates a rhythm which further indicates the speech pattern of the character.

I'm tired...and can't think of any more.

mshiraev

BD pride
HSC
I'm basing my IP on the concepts from several pieces... in essence it will explore the inner turmoil of a street clown, somewhat like the IP that got into onstage "La Bete", and I also want to mix with Sid from "Ruby Moon", (yes i know i have to be careful about how much i say i used using Ruby Moon). I wanted to show his dynamics in emotion and expression because of his room for character development or at least developing some kind of background to the story like hating his audience, using lots of movement, etc.

But i was wondering if from this small bit of information, anyone could give me some of their thoughts on the reasons for his up and down personality (or what his personality would be like at all), why he may be spiteful of his audience, how he reacts to criticism, etc...

I find it's always interesting to hear other people's thoughts even if I dont agree with them, as that way i just strengthen my own ideas.

But yeah, please give me what u got!

much appreciated, thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)