charity (1 Viewer)

frangipani13

HSC
just wondering...what do you do at school to raise money for charities? do you do anything? my school picks 1 main charity for the year then each grade has to organise an event to raise money for them...like cake stalls, gelato days, mufti days. id really like to do hands on type things for next year tho, like helping in soup kitchens or something.

what does everyone else do at their schools?

*wbg*

HSC
hey well at my school we have a few different student run groups which fundraise individually for their causes throughout the year (had a movie night to raise money.. um had a chocolate coated marshmellow day.... had a hot chocolate thing.. stuff like that) and we also have a commmittee which overseas all the different activities to make sure they dont conflict with dates etc.

and yeah, i had the same prob.. i really want to do hands on practical help.. myabe you could try volunteering at ur local nursing home/ soup kitchen/ st vinnies .. things like that in your community? i do that, but nothing through school.

P

pLuvia

The SRC just does all of ours, just pick one charity and donate it to that. Or this Interact Club, a rotary club thingy, they sometimes do it as well

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
My school has raised well over $300,000 for SIDS(Red Nose Day) over the past few years, We have had Police helicopter, RAAF HERC flyovers every year. My school has mufti days for charity's eg jeans for jeans etc. They sell daffodils for daffodil day(cancer research). They also get students to do legacy badge selling and to do community service with duke of edinburgh's award etc.

"Richmond High School in my electorate has been a leader in Red Nose Day fundraising. Since the school became involved in the program, it has raised over $300,000 for SIDS research and has hosted the Red Nose Day official national launch. This is an outstanding achievement and the students, staff and parents of Richmond High School are to be congratulated for their leadership in this vital work. The school has been greatly supported by the local community and has incorporated the organisation of the annual event into its educational curriculum. Richmond High School will continue its impressive commitment to Red Nose Day again this year, including its annual Red Nose Day dinner this Friday. Congratulations to Richmond High School for its tireless efforts in this"

frangipani13

HSC
Last year's yr 12 went to a school for disabled kids and painted a huge wall mural in one of the classrooms for the little kids...it was really cool. itd be really cool to do something like that with our year but i dont want to do the same thing.

^^^ that sounds really good...our school is really proud of being invovled with charity, they always go on about it, but we only raise about $6000/year. Spose every bit helps. we do the legacy/red shield stuff too.

ediisjoz

HSC
Charities

My school is charity-based. Our motto means "That I May Serve", by serving we support many different charities and do community service for 10 hours in both year 9 & 10.

There are 6 Houses and each house has 6 tutor groups each. Each house supports a different charity, and there are some charities we raise money for all within the school, e.g Breast Cancer Research.

Every tutor group has at least 1 charity stall, whether it be through a cake stall, pizza stall, ice cream, you name it - we've had it. Last year my tutor group did this indoor soccer compeition and raised a fair bit of money.

The idea is to raise at least $100 per tutor group and then use that to give to the set charity.

We do Christmas hampers (being done now - obviously), and we've also sponsored children through world vision, 40hour famine, jump rope for heart (year 7's peer support n stuff), and we recently raised enough money to build 5 houses for the poor in Cambodia (a girl in my year goes over to cambodia with her dad and helps build the houses with the chairty), we hold mufti days once every term and give the money which we raise to chairty... We've done legacy badges, breast cancer ribbons, white ribbons (stop violence against women - i think), bandanna day, and much much more...

and to think that people say that all private schools don't give a crap.. :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)