Cheapest option for train/bus travel (1 Viewer)

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC
How does the student concession card work? Do we show them to the bus driver or its automated discounted?

And I heard it only works for mymulti travel for weekly

Would buying a yearly mymulti be a better option

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Obviously the discounts ramp up the longer the ticket you get, butunless you have the cash to splurge on a yearly, I recommend just sticking to weeklys.

As for concession card, since you'll be buying the myMulti Weekly ticket at newsagents/etc. you won't need to show anyone anything, you'll just dip your ticket in the bus when you get in.

Obv if someone asks you for ID to make sure you're holding the right card, you'd show them your student concession card.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Obviously the discounts ramp up the longer the ticket you get, butunless you have the cash to splurge on a yearly, I recommend just sticking to weeklys.

As for concession card, since you'll be buying the myMulti Weekly ticket at newsagents/etc. you won't need to show anyone anything, you'll just dip your ticket in the bus when you get in.

Obv if someone asks you for ID to make sure you're holding the right card, you'd show them your student concession card.
^ That.

Plus, I don't think they sell concession MyMulti's for anything longer than a Weekly anyway. So just get Weekly tickets.

D94

HSC
N/A
You've got to purchase prepaid tickets before you get onto the bus - if it's myMulti/Train, you can get them at the train station, if it's myBus, you can get them at newsagencies, convenience stores etc. (usually located near bus stops and train stations)

For the student concession, the maximum is myMulti weekly. You can get a normal myMulti yearly, but it will cost more and if you do lose it, you've lost $1000-2500.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think for those ones you get a barcode and you can apply to get them back if you lose them.

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
You've got to purchase prepaid tickets before you get onto the bus - if it's myMulti/Train, you can get them at the train station, if it's myBus, you can get them at newsagencies, convenience stores etc. (usually located near bus stops and train stations)

For the student concession, the maximum is myMulti weekly. You can get a normal myMulti yearly, but it will cost more and if you do lose it, you've lost $1000-2500.
Actually yearly ones are barcoded/laminated so you can get a replacement if you lose it! :p

jamesfirst

HSC
Quarterly train tix + travel 10 section 1-2 weekly

D94

HSC
N/A
Actually yearly ones are barcoded/laminated so you can get a replacement if you lose it! :p
Very well, I know 90 day passes aren't, so you still wouldn't want to lose hundreds of dollars.

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Very well, I know 90 day passes aren't, so you still wouldn't want to lose hundreds of dollars.
I'm sure if you contact Department of Transport they can help you out if you have a receipt number. In fact I'm sure I've read it somewhere that they have to have redundancy measures for >30 day tickets.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Even though you have purchased a MyMulti already, always bring your concession card as when there are ticket checks, if you do not have your concession card, you will be fined.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
You be amazed at the number of people who don't bring their ID cards :D

nifkeh

HSC
Even though you have purchased a MyMulti already, always bring your concession card as when there are ticket checks, if you do not have your concession card, you will be fined.
+1

they don't have to be transit officers or police, even the bus driver will ask you (always happens on the private buses here like do I look like I'm 25 or something). bus drivers can make you pay the full fare if they're mean I guess. you think they won't ask you for ID or a concession card when you're short but they do (I'm ~154 cm)

also I think I read to apply for a tertiary concession card you can't have a job while studying..? that's what I read on the application form

D94

HSC
N/A
also I think I read to apply for a tertiary concession card you can't have a job while studying..? that's what I read on the application form
Just ignore that.

HSC
does anyone know how to get the Tertiary concession card? do they give you it at uni when you go on the first day? i still have my year 12 one that expires on march

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
does anyone know how to get the Tertiary concession card? do they give you it at uni when you go on the first day? i still have my year 12 one that expires on march
It's a sticker on top of student ID.

findsome1

HSC
oh i was thinking you get that card like in hs

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/content/travel-concessions-tertiary-students

the red one on the bottom, so the sticker is basically the same when city rail or ticket inspectors ask i show them the sticker on my uni card?

and when do i get this sticker? do i need to apply or something beforehand?

thanks
Yep, you will get a sticker on your uni card if you apply for concession. You show them this if they ask for it.

To get this sticker you need to fill out a form found on this page http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/fm-assist/student-id-cards click the transport concession form. Fill this out and bring it with you when you go to collect your card at FM assist.

HSC
Uni Grad
Mymulti concession is the best imo, just as long as you don't lose it.

Mymutli is awesome because you can get your moneys worth if you travel heaps (like me)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)