chem 1031 (1 Viewer)

Idyll

HSC
gress <3 tig said:
Given that sikeveo has his HSC Graduation listed as 2005, I doubt he has a unipass to get to that stuff. The contents page from the tutorial booklet has:

7 1 Ionic Equations, Moles, Concentration
8 2 Properties of Atoms and Theories of Atom Structure – Part 1
12 3 Properties of Atoms and Theories of Atom Structure – Part 2
15 4 Properties of Molecules and Theories of Molecular Structure – Part 1
17 5 Properties of Molecules and Theories of Molecular Structure – Part 1
20 6 How Do Chemical Reactions Occur? Mechanism
24 7 Organic Chemistry 1
27 8 Organic Chemistry 2
30 9 Organic Chemistry 3
33 10 Organic Chemistry 4

If you want to know anything more specific, just ask.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Thanks Idyll. I have downloaded the stuff (used my sisters unipass), however it doesnt make any sense....I think i should go get a textbook...

beverly

HSC
N/A
i did CHEM1031 first semester, and 1041 too so if you want any info/specifics just give me a shout!

in terms of 1011 vs 1031, basically over the full year combination, you'll cover the same content, except with certain topics 1031 will cover it earlier, and with more depth (eg. organic where we did much harder, longer lectures)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Bev, thanks for the offer. What is the best way to go over the stuff before sem 1 as I dont really want to take chances with my transfer. Is silberg or the zumdahl text better?

Thanks!

nit

HSC
Not sure about the course itself, but as far as textbooks go, Silberberg and Zumdahl are very similar and for a general chemistry course, are pretty much interchangeable. Silberberg is probably pitched at a higher level of undergraduate student compared to Zumdahl and goes into a little bit more depth in certain areas (eg Quantum), but in general either would be suitable. Silberberg was the set text for our course at Usyd, and I used Zumdahl when necessary...

beverly

HSC
N/A
sikeveo said:
Bev, thanks for the offer. What is the best way to go over the stuff before sem 1 as I dont really want to take chances with my transfer. Is silberg or the zumdahl text better?

Thanks!
i'm not familiar with the zumdahl text, and i particularly like Silberberg so id suggest that obviously, though i do have to say i would always recommend using something in addition (Chemistry by Chang is good)

did you do physics & chem in HS? basically the first few weeks of the 1031 course are running through HS chemistry, with a small chunk of physics related stuff (which seemed to be the trickiest to most). it is a little extra than the usual HS stuff though (orbitals, VESPR theory etc). so the physics is probably my only real pointer for the start. if you get a hold of the syllabus, that would be a fantastic way to get ahead (and you really will be able to make ground). otherwise, organic will be the hardest thing you'll do in the course (id suggest getting the 6E Organic textbook before you start, not a few wks before exams like i did :lol: )

anyways, if you're wanting to transfer, why bother with the higher chem? as much as its good to challenge yourself it's really not worth it if you need great marks since the content covered is exactly the same. having said that, it's not difficult to do well though :)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yep i did phys/chem. Where could i get hold of the syllabus? Reason I want to do higher as im interested in chemistry and would enjoy the challenge, unless it scews you over in terms of scaling.

beverly

HSC
N/A
sikeveo said:
Yep i did phys/chem. Where could i get hold of the syllabus? Reason I want to do higher as im interested in chemistry and would enjoy the challenge, unless it scews you over in terms of scaling.
in that case, go ahead with the higher. you probably wouldnt spend more time on higher than if you did lower (given you'd work hard even if it were stuff you knew already) and its always better to take up the challenge!

i just realised, the school of chem is a pain in that all the info you need is in the course pack which only becomes available to you at the end of the first wk (if you're lucky- earlier) from the chem shop. the syllabus is in there too. ill see if i can scan it for you if you'd like, though someone else might have it on file already?

beverly

HSC
N/A
i just realised i have the CHEM1041 syllabus on file so i can send that to you as well, when i do the 1031 one :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)