• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

chem: alkanes need help (1 Viewer)

gerg tenrab 07

Tip the Scales
HSC
doing an assessment task on fossils fuels.

need info on the regulations of the storage of alkanes and how those regulations are related to their properties.

any help would be greatly appreciated

ckmi

HSC
the storage of alkanes depends on the chain length, as the chain length increases or decreases so does the volatility due to the dispersion forces:

the main safety issues associated with the storage of alkanes is the fact that they are highly flammable. This means that the bonds are had to break and have a large amount of kinetic energy, resulting in a high flammability and large release of energy when combustion occurs. Alkanes are also highly volatile and therefore combust easily. Alkanes also have flashpoints below room temp so if exposed to a naked flame will combust easily.
Therefore alkanes must be stored as liquids as they cannot combust at a liquid state.
The low polarity of the bonds of hydrocarbons means that the only intermolecular forces between molecules are very weak and as a result hydrocarbons have very low melting and boiling points. This relates to volatility- as alkanes hav relativly low mp/bp they are more likely to change from a liquid to a gas more easily and therefore combust more easily, hense the importance of storin them as a liquid as combustion can only take place when in a gaseous form. When stored under prssure or in a cool place they are not going to turn into a gas as easily so stored in a cool place as a liquid is the best way to store them.......
hope this helps

gerg tenrab 07

Tip the Scales
HSC
thanks ckmi

you just saved me a whole saturday of research to find that info

Last edited:

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
damn, u guys are already doing energy... we're finishing up on water ...

kloudsurfer

HSC
yoakim said:
damn, u guys are already doing energy... we're finishing up on water ...
We just finished metals! Granted, 3/4 my chemistry class is failing because the teacher doesnt know what he is talking about...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
We just finished metals! Granted, 3/4 my chemistry class is failing because the teacher doesnt know what he is talking about...
Well do you know what that means ?

YOU can feel confident you will be ranked pretty high ! Gee I wish that happened to me :(

kloudsurfer

HSC
Really? I dont really understand this ranking stuff. I always assumed that it would drag down my marks....

And no you dont. It sucks lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)